Status: Full-time, Exempt with benefits (The organization offers health, dental, and vision insurance options with an employer contribution of $200 per month toward the cost of health insurance.)
Reports to: Board of Directors
The Executive Director will be responsible for daily operations at the organization in accordance with the mission, strategic plan, budget, and board priorities. The ED will provide strategic vision and program leadership, manage all aspects of operations, ensure financial oversight, lead on development activities, and ensure the organization’s sustainability for the future. The ED will work closely with and report directly to the Board of Directors.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work with Board to update strategic plan to ensure sustainability and mission-based development of Center operations and related programs.
• Serve as primary contact for Board Members, elected officials from the region, community members, and the general public.
• Exercise business judgement to ensure healthy, sustainable organizational operations.
• Direct development and oversight of annual budgets, manage cash flow projections, and oversee financial sustainability of the project.
• Ensure proper care and maintenance of a multi-facility campus and grounds.
Fundraising and Communications:
• Serve as primary fundraiser for the organization, working closely with program staff to ensure financial stability.
• Manage all grant applications and reporting requirements.
• Provide regular stewardship and recognition for donors.
• Develop positive relationships with current and potential major donors.
• Continue to expand network with key community stakeholders and peers.
Staff Management and Leadership:
• Direct and supervise staff to ensure quality programs.
• Implement staff performance management processes.
• Lead staff meetings and other needed meetings to ensure good communication across the organization.
• Oversee hiring and staffing plans, adapting as programs grow and development.
• Serve as key human resources point person for the organization.
Marketing and Advertising:
• Oversee all marketing and advertising needs for the organization, including social media, website, and email communications with support from key staff.
• Provide input and oversight over the expanded development of marketing and advertising strategies to grow business operations.
• Develop and implement marketing strategy that meets the needs of local residents as well as seasonal tourists visiting the area.
• Success in senior staff position with a museum, science center, nature center, outdoor education organization, or other similar business.
• Minimum four years senior management experience.
• Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree in related field preferred.
• Commitment to the organization's mission and vision.
• Results in successfully receiving grant funding from philanthropic, corporate, and
government funding sources.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, a persuasive communicator with
excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people.
• Self-directed professional with positive attitude that can accomplish mission-driven goals of the organization with integrity.
• Results in planned giving, major gifts, direct mail, and donor stewardship.
• Passion for outdoor education, natural sciences, conservation science, astronomy, and outdoor adventure.
• Familiarity with AmeriCorps programs and youth corps operations, preferred.
• Knowledge of the natural and cultural treasures of the Colorado Plateau, preferred.
To apply, send a resume or CV; a cover letter explaining qualification and interest in the position; and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include “Executive Director Application” in the subject line of your message. Applications are accepted through July 15, 2018. No calls or other inquiries, please.