Are you looking for a career in natural resources, but don’t know where to start? Do you want to be a wildland firefighter, park ranger, or outdoor educator, but don’t often see other women in those jobs?
Join us as a crew member for our 2019 Women’s Crew in Land Conservation. We need adventurous, hard-working, female identifying individuals to complete land conservation projects on a chainsaw crew. Join a team of ten and complete field work across the stunning open spaces and mountain parks of the Colorado Front Range. Personal growth, friendship, and endurance thrive here. You’ll learn how to build use chainsaws, remove invasive species, complete forest thinning, build burn piles, use a chipper, stabilize burn scar soil, and more. Put your personal development at the top of your priority list, next to community service and environmental impact. Get paid biweekly while doing what you love and earn a scholarship at the end of the summer.
Never used a chainsaw? Don’t know if you can handle it? That's okay! We think you can. Our crews begin the season with a week of training in chainsaw operation a week of in-house orientation. All we ask is that you bring your dedication to hard work, long days, a positive attitude, and a commitment to a summer you’ll never forget.
What we do every day:
• Complete physically demanding conservation projects with crews of 10 other women Corpsmembers on public lands throughout Colorado
• Projects will include habitat restoration, invasive species removal, fire mitigation, and public land maintenance
• Participate in four hours per week of educational activities on environmental stewardship, civic engagement, healthy living, leadership & career development, and social justice
• Biweekly stipend: Earn a living stipend of $760 every two weeks
• AmeriCorps Education Award: Earn a scholarship of $1,583.36 upon successful completion of 450 hour term of service. This scholarship can be used to pay tuition or pay back qualifying student loans.
• Trainings: S-212 Wildand Fire Chainsaws training equivalency and hands-on technical training related to all projects
• Health Insurance: May be eligible for health insurance the 1st of the month after serving at MHYC for sixty days. Corps members will have a monthly share of the health insurance premium.
Schedule: This is a full-time temporary position, from August 20th – November 15th, 2019. Crews work four days of 10 hours, Monday through Thursday, with in-office programming one Friday morning every month.
“I loved this program. I had no prior exposure to land work at all and feel like I learned so much about trail work/ state parks/ forest service. I had no idea I was capable of this type of work and so proud of what I am able to do in terms of field work and leading.” - Women’s Crew Corpsmember
Apply on our website at https://www.milehighyouthcorps.org/apply-now and apply to the Fall Forestry Corpsmember (Denver) position, or visit us in person at 1801 Federal Blvd, Denver, CO 80204. Questions? Call 303-433-1206 ext. 221.
• Must be female-identifying, between 18-24 years old, and eligible to legally serve in the United States. Documentation will be required on the first day.
• Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident. Documentation will be required on the first day.
• High School Diploma or equivalency required.
• Able to commit to the entire term of service.
• This position may have access to vulnerable populations and therefore must complete a pre-service background check which includes fingerprinting.
• Pre-service drug screen required (includes marijuana).