The Fall Forestry Program (FF) is an intensive, team-based, 13 week-long program. FF Corpsmembers serve on conservation and environmental stewardship projects throughout the Denver metro area while engaging in meaningful education activities. Corpsmembers have the choice to serve on either a Hand or Sawyer Crew.
• Biweekly Stipend: Earn a living stipend of $760.00 per pay period, every two weeks.
• AmeriCorps Education Award: Earn a scholarship of $1,583.36 upon successful completion of the term (450 hours of service). This award can be used to pay tuition or pay back qualifying student loans. Individuals have 7 years to use the award.
This a temporary position, from September 24, 2018 – November 30, 2018.
• 450 hours of service in a 12 week commitment.
• 40 hour weeks, Monday-Thursday 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Required to serve Friday, September 7 from 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. due to holiday observed on Labor Day (Sept. 3) and September 14, October 12 and November 2 from 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
• Some positions will require overnights.
• On Land Conservation: Complete physically demanding conservation projects on public lands through the Denver metro area. Projects include trail construction and maintenance, fencing, campground improvements, noxious weed eradication, wildlife habitat improvements and public land maintenance and clean-up.
• Mile High Youth Corps: Provide logistics support including but not limited to building, vehicle and tool maintenance. Overnight crews may be responsible for additional camp chores and educational activities in the evening or morning.
• Trainings: Tool training and hands-on technical training related to all projects. Sawyer Corpsmembers will earn an S-212 chainsaw equivalency certification.
• Education: Lessons focused on environmental stewardship, leadership, civic engagement, college and career prep and other trainings that will prepare for life after MHYC.
• Student Loan Forbearance: Possible through the National Service Trust on qualifying federal government student loans.
• Health Insurance: May be eligible for health insurance the 1st of the month after serving with MHYC for sixty days. Member share of health insurance premium is $80 per month.
Visit our website at www.milehighyouthcorps.org and click “Apply Now”. Or visit us in person at our headquarters 1801 Federal Blvd, Denver, CO 80204.
Questions? Please email email@example.com or call 303-433-1206 ext. 221
Mile High Youth Corps is committed to diversity in principle and practice, both in the community at large and within the organization. We are, therefore, committed to having our internal operations and employment practices administered on a non-discriminating basis inclusive of, but not limited to, race, religion, color, socio-economic status, gender, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability, marital status, or national origin. Every effort shall be made to grant reasonable accommodation for qualified people with disabilities to participate in this AmeriCorps program.
• Must be between the ages of 18-24 and able to legally serve in the United States, which will be verified via the federal E-Verify program.
• High school or GED graduate or still enrolled.
• Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National or Lawful Permanent Resident. Documentation will be required on the first day.
• Must be physically fit, able to lift 75 lbs., spend 8-10 hours a day in all weather conditions (e.g., sun, heat, wind, rain, etc.) and hike 7 miles with a day-pack.
• Able to be on time and maintain attendance throughout term of service, available for a minimum of 450 hours of service, 40 hours per week.
• Diligently follow Leave No Trace ethics.
• Must commit to complete the program and participate fully in service projects and educational activities.
• Must bring identification documents necessary to complete the I-9 and other forms on your first day. Examples of such documents are a passport or a driver’s license and birth certificate or other equivalent documents.
• Must be able to legally work in the United States, which will be verified via the federal E-Verify program.
• Experience or strong desire to learn the technical skills needed to effectively maintain public lands.
• Must be willing to show a strong effort, actively participate as part of a team and be dedicated to the Youth Corps philosophy.
• Pre-service National Service Criminal History Check required. May be subject to FBI Background Check, which includes fingerprinting. This position does not have recurring access to vulnerable populations.
• Pre-service drug screen required. Drug testing may be required during term.
• Member must not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the AmeriCorps Member Service Agreement and appropriately represent Mile High Youth Corps both in behavior and dress code.
• Fully comply with agency policies and procedures regarding high quality service, tool management, paperwork completion and data accuracy.
• This position reports to Crew Leader: Conservation.