Overview & Job Duties:
Work in a joint capacity with Pheasants Forever, Inc. (PF), USDA Natural Resources Conservation Services (NRCS) and the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks Department (SDGFP) to promote, accelerate enrollment, coordinate and implement the conservation provisions of the Federal Farm Bill and other related state, local and non-profit wildlife conservation programs. Activities will include program promotion, contract coordination, conservation planning, conservation plan modification, site assessment and reporting. Provide technical assistance for wildlife habitat enhancement techniques to private landowners and public organizations. Meet with local chapters of Pheasants Forever and other local partners to influence habitat management efforts and participate in statewide habitat meetings. Attend Farm Bill Biologist training and assist in coordinating technical assistance efforts.
This position will be based in Winner (Tripp County) as the home office but will serve surrounding counties as well. The incumbent is an employee of Pheasants Forever, Inc. and will receive primary supervision from Pheasants Forever with daily instruction provided by the local USDA-NRCS staff. The incumbents serve as a USDA, NRCS Conservation Programs Biologist providing biological/wildlife aspects of all USDA, NRCS Conservation Programs, and SDGFP and PF programs to private landowners and participants.
About the Area:
Winner South Dakota serves as the anchor of the “golden triangle” of pheasant hunting. This area is home to some of the highest concentrations of pheasants in the world. Beyond the pheasant hunting the area is home to sharp-tailed grouse, greater prairie chicken, turkey and bobwhite quail for upland hunters. The area also features some outstanding big game hunting with pronghorn antelope, mule deer, and white-tailed deer all being prevalent in the area. During non-hunting times of the year Winner is only a 45-minute drive to the Missouri river full of walleye, northern pike, and smallmouth bass.
• Provide technical assistance (biology focus) and guidance to private landowners, government agencies, non-government organizations and other groups for USDA NRCS Conservation Programs. The positions will receive training on the USDA NRCS Conservation Programs, Pheasants Forever, SDGFP and other local and state programs.
• Coordinate the implementation and application of biological sciences within the conservation programs in cooperation with the local NRCS, District Conservationist, SDGFP private lands biologist, PF Biologists, and others.
• Complete contracts, applications and other required documentation for the conservation programs requiring biological expertise in cooperation with the listed partners and NRCS, District Conservationist.
• Communicates program requirements, completes site visits to determine eligibility, and develops contracts/plans for applicants/participants for the USDA, NRCS Conservation Programs and other local and state programs.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management tools in the development of management plans.
• Knowledge of conservation and wildlife programs provided by federal (i.e. Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), state, & local entities. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired.
• Excellent verbal and written communication.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Valid driver’s license required; some use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided).
• Able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
Experience Guideline: A Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management, Range Science or closely related natural resources field is required. Demonstrated experience with USDA farm bill programs is preferred and an understanding of local agricultural practices is very beneficial.
Starting Salary: $32,000 – $34,000 + Health Benefits and Retirement Package
To Apply: Visit our website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please include your cover letter, resume and 3 references as 1 word document or PDF file on the Recruitment website.
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever is an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled