Overview: In partnership with the USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) the Farm Bill Wildlife Biologists will coordinate and implement wildlife habitat-related conservation programs and provide technical assistance within the NRCS and FWC Quail and Gopher Tortoise Initiative Focal Areas. The positions will be headquartered in the Quincy or Kissimmee USDA Service Centers. This individual will work in joint capacity with partner agencies to promote, coordinate and implement conservation provisions of the Federal Farm Bill on private lands, with primary focus on the Environmental Quality Incentive Program (EQIP) Working Lands for Wildlife (WLFW) Bobwhite Quail Pine Savanna Project. Conservation delivery may also involve other relevant Farm Bill programs such as the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP), general EQIP, and the Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP), as well as state and local habitat programs and initiatives. General duties will include all aspects of wildlife habitat planning, contract coordination, conservation plan writing, site assessment/eligibility determination, program promotion/outreach, landowner technical assistance, reporting, and assisting with habitat and population monitoring.
• Provide technical assistance (wildlife habitat focus) and guidance to private landowners, government agencies, non-government organizations and other groups for USDA NRCS conservation programs. Training provided jointly by NRCS, FWC, and QF.
• Coordinate the implementation and application of wildlife habitat programs within Focal Areas in cooperation with partner agencies.
• Complete conservation plans, job sheets, wildlife habitat evaluation guides (WHEG) and other required documentation for the conservation programs requiring biological expertise in cooperation with the listed partners.
• Communicate program requirements, complete site visits to determine eligibility, and develop contract documents for applicants and participants of USDA-NRCS conservation programs and other local and state programs.
• Review plans and specifications for feasibility for implementation under Farm Bill program contract rules, etc.
• Assist in population monitoring and plant inventories.
• Accelerate conservation program enrollment by conducting outreach such as workshops, field days, demonstration events, and habitat tours.
• Provide on-site landowner technical assistance for conservation practice implementation.
• Work with local QF chapters to assist with habitat program education and outreach and provide technical assistance for habitat projects.
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities. A Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management, Forestry, Grazing or closely related natural resources field is required. A Master’s Degree is preferred. Proven experience working with USDA Farm Bill programs is also preferred. The ideal candidate will exhibit a balance of technical knowledge and interpersonal skills required to implement voluntary conservation programs on private lands. A successful applicant must enjoy working with private landowners to achieve their objectives. Demonstrated interest, training, and experience in forestry, grazing, and wildlife is also ideal.
Application Requirements: Please combine your cover letter, resume, and 3 references into a single Word document or PDF file before uploading to the Recruitment website at www.QuailForever.org/jobs . Indicate preferred location in cover letter. Pheasants Forever is considered a federal contractor; therefore, we must ensure all employees, regardless of work location or job duties, are fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Upon employment you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated, proof of a valid medical exemption or legitimate religious objection.
If you have additional questions: please contact Dr. Jessica McGuire, Quail Forever Working Lands For Wildlife Bobwhite Coordinator, email@example.com
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with disability, or any other category that may be protected by law.