Murdo, Parkston, Faulkton, & Webster - South Dakota
Overview: In partnership with the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks, the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), and local Pheasants Forever chapters; these positions will coordinate and implement wildlife-related conservation programs and provide technical assistance. Work in joint capacity with PF, NRCS, and the Farm Service Agency (FSA) to promote, coordinate and implement conservation provisions of the Federal Farm Bill and other related wildlife conservation programs. The programs of interest are promoting and implementing CRP, ACEP and other state and federal conservation programs. Duties will include wildlife habitat planning, contract coordination, writing plans, site assessment and reporting. Provide technical assistance for wildlife habitat enhancement techniques to private landowners and public organizations. Meet with local chapters of Pheasants Forever to help coordinate and influence habitat management efforts and participate in county and statewide habitat meetings. Meet regularly with GF&P, PF and USDA staff to coordinate technical assistance efforts. Implement specific conservation programs to improve wildlife habitat.
• Provide technical assistance (biology focus) and guidance to private landowners, government agencies, non-government organizations and other groups for USDA NRCS Conservation Programs. The positions will receive training on the USDA NRCS Conservation Programs, Pheasants Forever, SDGFP and other local and state programs.
• Coordinate the implementation and application of biological sciences within the conservation programs in cooperation with the local NRCS, District Conservationist, SDGFP private lands biologist, PF Biologists, and others.
• Complete contracts, applications and other required documentation for the conservation programs requiring biological expertise in cooperation with the listed partners and NRCS, District Conservationist.
• Communicates program requirements, completes site visits to determine eligibility, and develops contracts/plans for applicants/participants for the USDA, NRCS Conservation Programs and other local and state programs.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
About the Locations:
Murdo: Murdo (population 500) is located in Jones county SD and will be the primary office location for this position which will also cover parts of Haakon, Jackson, and Stanley counties. This region is home to some of the best upland hunting SD has to offer with not only pheasants but sharp-tailed grouse, greater prairie chicken, and the occasional Hungarian partridge. Along with upland hunting there is phenomenal big game hunting also in the area for mule deer and antelope. A large portion of the landscape is rangeland so some familiarity with rangeland and livestock would be beneficial.
Parkston: Parkston (population 1,508) is located in Hutchinson county SD and will be the primary office location for this position which will also cover parts of Hanson, Davison, McCook, and Miner counties. Located in the South Central part of South Dakota the area is home to great pheasant hunting along with very good waterfowl hunting. Parkston is also located with an hour drive of the Missouri River reservoir system which is world renowned for its walleye and smallmouth bass fishing. Parkston is located only 20 minutes from Mitchell SD (population 15,500) and close to Sioux Falls.
Faulkton: Faulkton (population 750) is located in Faulk county SD and will be the primary office location for this position which will also cover parts of Spink, Hand, and Hyde counties. Located in the North Central region of South Dakota makes it ideal for upland hunting and you can expect to see both pheasants and sharp-tailed grouse in the area. It is also home to great waterfowl and white-tailed deer hunting throughout the season. It is also located within an hour of Lake Oahe and the glacial lakes of North Eastern SD which is home to phenomenal fishing for numerous species of fish.
Webster: Webster (population 1,900) is located in Day county SD and will be the primary office location for this position which will also cover parts of Clark, Grant, and Roberts counties. Located in the heart of the Glacial Lakes region of South Dakota it is home to some of the best waterfowl and fishing in the country. The area is also an up and coming part of the state for pheasant hunting and white-tailed deer hunting. You are never more than a 15-minute drive from a lake that is swimming with fish. The area is also located in the largest concentration of public land for hunting in the eastern half of South Dakota.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele.
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management tools in the development of management plans.
• Knowledge of conservation and wildlife programs provided by federal (i.e. Farm Bill, US Fish and Wildlife Service), state, & local entities. In addition, knowledge of how these programs are implemented in an agricultural landscape is desired.
• Excellent verbal and written communication.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Valid driver’s license required; some use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided).
• Able to obtain USDA Federal Security Clearance.
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities. A Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field is required.
To Apply: please visit our website at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please include your cover letter, resume and 3 references as single Word document or PDF file on the Recruitment website. For additional questions, please contact Matt Morlock, South Dakota State Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 605-881-8258.
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever are an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled