SUMMARY: The Farm Manager is responsible for the operation of the organic research farm. Additional focus will be placed in peri-urban agriculture.
EFFECTIVE DATE: Screening of applicants’ credentials will begin on July 1, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Responsible for day-to-day activities of the farm operations department.
• Assist field operations in research plots, production areas, and all other crops.
• Manage all agronomic issues related to growing crops in the field.
• Manage the cleaning of all equipment, plus additional compliance to all National Organic Standards.
• Operate farm equipment as needed. Be responsible for maintenance schedule.
• Assist in creating models for other small farm operations.
• Conduct farm field days.
• Monitor and control resources by assisting in developing budgets.
• Assist other team members in carrying out their responsibilities.
• Promote sales of farm products through product development and customer relationships, including establishing CSA’s.
• Ability to participate in research projects; testing, gathering, and compiling data.
• Operate and manage farm equipment as needed, including inventory, repairs, and purchasing.
• Work with external contractors for facility services.
• Assist in preparing and giving oral presentations to scientific communities, governmental decision-makers, private environmental groups, and farmers.
• Perform other duties as assigned by management.
• This position works very closely with other departments.
• 3 or more years’ experience in an organic production system and/or managing a farm.
• Working knowledge of plant or soil science and/or a B.S. or M.S. degree in a related agriculture or natural science field.
• Experience in operating farm equipment.
• Ability to work in all types of weather.
• Capable of lifting in excess of 50 lbs.
• Possess good communication skills, both written and oral.
• Flexible work schedule.
• A letter that outlines qualifications and interest.
• Original copies of all transcripts.
• Names, postal and email addresses, and phone numbers of five references.
Submit materials by mail to John R. Butler, President, Agricenter International, 7777 Walnut Grove Rd., Box 9, Memphis, TN 38120, or via email to email@example.com.