Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Field Assistants — New Hampshire
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
$12.50/hour, housing provided
Last Date to Apply
Field assistants (2) needed from 27 May through 31 July for a study assessing how Swainson’s thrush breeding success is influenced by abiotic (temperature/precipitation) and biotic (predation) factors along an elevational gradient. This work will be conducted in the White Mountain National Forest of New Hampshire. Field work will require diligent focus with long hours in the field (up to 12 hours) hiking up steep terrain, bushwhacking through dense vegetation, working independently some days, and sitting for long periods of time in uncomfortable conditions. Primary duties include nest searching/monitoring nests (60%), catching birds with target mist-nets (10%), insect collection (10%) vegetation surveys (10%), and data entry (10%). The amount of time spent on each task for the field season is subject to change. Applicant should be comfortable living in tight quarters and provide their own hiking equipment (backpack, hiking shoes, etc.), and may be expected to use their own vehicle on some days.
Successful applicants will have the following experience:
• B.S. in wildlife biology or related field
• Nest searching experience
• Experience working in northeastern montane forests with songbirds
• Ability to identify northeastern songbirds, specifically Swainson’s thrush (visual and auditory)
• Willingness to work in all weather conditions (humidity, heat, rain)
• Experience using Microsoft Excel
• Good physical health & positive attitude
• Valid driver’s license/vehicle
• Works well in a team setting and individually
Beneficial but not required:
• Bird banding experience
• Ability to identify arthropods by order
To apply send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for 2 references in a single PDF document to Sarah Deckel (firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 8th. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.