The Montana Natural Heritage Program (MTNHP) is seeking to hire one technician for field work in Western Montana during the summer of 2018. Technicians will be working with a crew leader to collect forest stand information and tree species data in the Flathead National Forest. Work involves performing fixed and variable radius plots in forest stands as well as rapid assessments of other vegetation data. The data collected will include tree species, size, and mortality information, and will be used to support USFS vegetation mapping. The work schedule requires long days in the field, often in challenging environments or conditions, with at least one other crew member.Field ecology technicians will work with a crew leader in a team of two to identify tree species, record positional data, and collect stand information.
Work will begin in early June and go through the end of August. Technicians will receive training and education on field data collection, forest ecology, and backcountry safety. Pay is based on experience and starts at $12/hour. In addition to their hourly pay, employees will receive a stipend of $23 a day for each full day spent in the field. Crews typically work a 4 day on 3 day off schedule with 10 hour work days. Crews will be camping at night. There is no housing offered with this position.
• Enrolled in or graduated from a college program in forestry, ecology, botany, or environmental studies.
• Familiarity with forest data collection methods and tree species identification is strongly desired.
• Extensive experience hiking and camping for extended periods of time.
• Ability to work in variable weather conditions, remote locations and in physically demanding circumstances.
• Ability to use a GPS unit, a compass, and a tablet for data collection.
• Experience with field data collection is a plus, but is not required.
• Ability and willingness to work in a team setting.
• A valid driver’s license and a clean driving record are required.
For more information, or to apply, please contact Emily Luther at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application materials should include a brief resume, a cover letter, and the names of two references