Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Field Technician; Elk Vegetation Surveys – Pennsylvania
Indiana University of Pennsylvania-Research Institute
Benezette, PA and surrounding PA Elk Management Area
Full time Positions
Last Date to Apply
The Larkin Lab from Indiana University of Pennsylvania seeks 1 field technician to help with the research on seasonal and daily fine-scale resource selection of elk in northcentral Pennsylvania. Technician will work with a MS student and a post-doc to conduct vegetation surveys in the Elk Management Area (EMA). Project technician will be required to use various survey methods to identify and quantify herbaceous plants, shrub and saplings, and trees during all seasons. A successful candidate will spend the majority of their time in the field but will also allocate time to completing data entry. Field work will require walking long distances in rugged and remote areas. Work will involve being in the field during inclement weather conditions including snow. Housing and a field vehicle will be provided.
• Previous experience with field work, specifically, sampling vegetation in the eastern US preferred
• Experience with tree, herbaceous, and woody plant identification
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Self-motivated and comfortable working alone or with a 2-3-person field crew
To apply, please provide the following information in a PDF document:
1) Cover letter summarizing qualifications
3) Names and contact information for three references