The Hawthorne Valley Farmscape Ecology Program is looking to hire a full-time field technician to assist in agroecological research.
The Farmscape Ecology Program is dedicated to exploring the human and natural dimensions of the landscape of Columbia County, NY and the adjacent Hudson Valley through research and outreach. The Program is part of Hawthorne Valley Association, an educational non-profit, located on an organic/biodynamic farm in rural eastern NY and is comprised of a wildlife ecologist, a botanist, a social scientist, and a budding entomologist. In collaboration with the Hudson Valley Farm Hub, one focal area of our current research is Hudson Valley agroecology, and we have various new and on-going projects addressing that theme.
Occasional weekend or after-hours work may be required. Applications are being accepted and considered as they arrive. The position will be filled when the appropriate candidate is found.
The position is dependent on programmatic funding which is reviewed at the end of each calendar year. While the hope is for this to be a multi-year position, that cannot be guaranteed.
• A degree in biology, ecology, entomology, conservation biology, or related discipline and/or equivalent experience
• Familiarity with field research (including a basic knowledge of field botany and the collection and identification of select insect or spider groups, or a strong drive to acquire such knowledge), basic data processing and GIS
• An interest in agroecology
• Good communication skills
• Willingness to work both independently and as part of a team
• Willingness to work with and help supervise summer interns
• Ability to switch between somewhat strenuous fieldwork and lab/office based activities
Please send via email a resume, letter of intent describing professional/educational interests, and the names of three references. Questions welcome by phone or email.