HawkWatch International (HWI) is seeking 2 field technicians to conduct right-of-way (ROW) surveys assessing eagle mortality in western Wyoming as part of a larger, more intensive study. Technicians will collect data on raptor mortality in the ROW of 650 miles of roads on an ATV. The team of two will work together with minimal supervision for the duration of the surveys.
Primary Duties Include:
- Transporting, loading/unloading, and riding an ATV alongside roads with varying traffic volumes
- Document, photograph, tag, and collect data on raptor mortalities
- Place/maintain trail cameras on carcasses
- Keep datasheets and SD cards well organized
Camping is required while in the field.
The work will be intensive, including approximately 150 hours over 3-4 weeks.
Competitive candidates will have:
- Experience operating an ATV in adverse conditions (rain, mud, snow) on uneven terrain
- Operating a 4-wheel-drive vehicle and towing a trailer
- Experience with basic vehicle maintenance and repair (changing tires, putting on chains, getting unstuck from mud/snow, etc.)
- A valid driver’s license
- Ability to navigate using maps and a GPS unit
- Attention to detail and a keen eye for searching
- Experience camping for at least a week at a time
- Ability to ID western raptor species
- Experience with trail cameras
- A strong stomach and a sense of humor
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references in a single pdf to Jessica Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org. Positions are open until filled.