This position is part of a prescribed fire/wildland fire crew. The primary purpose of this position is to perform prescribed fire activities and support wildland firefighting work. The position will perform work directly related to prescribed burning and wildland fire suppression: including prescribed burn unit prep, prescribed burning, suppression, preparedness, prevention, monitoring, and hazardous fuels reduction. This position may also perform duties in other fuels related or ecosystem restoration projects.
This position will typically work 40 hrs/week for 12 weeks. Pending weather conditions, this position may be asked to work on weekends and/or holidays. Travel may be required occasionally and/or overnight.
- Familiarity with techniques and skills needed to conduct maintenance on fire suppression equipment and facilities.
- Familiarity with radio communication, equipment, and generally accepted procedures.
- Knowledge of forest fire behavior, suppression tactics and techniques, fire line safety standards, incident command system and communication systems.
- Knowledge of prescribed fire planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Meet and maintain physical fitness standards required by the Department, per Manual Code 9124.20.
- Taking and passing WCT at the moderate level is a condition of employment. The moderate fitness test requires completing a two (2) mile hike within thirty (30) minutes, while carrying a twenty-five (25) pound pack.
- Meets and maintain requirements to operate state vehicle, travel independently and on a timely basis
- Qualified as FFT 2 or FFT2FD
For more information and to apply, visit wisc.jobs and search for Job ID#8293