Job Description: This position serves as a project biologist at the FWRI Freshwater Fisheries Research field office in Palm Bay, Florida. The primary focus of work is monitoring and research of sportfish, fish communities, recreational fisheries, and associated habitats in the upper St. Johns River watershed and other aquatic resources as needed. Study areas include river, lake, and impoundment habitats. The incumbent will be expected to plan and conduct field sampling in support of a long term fishery monitoring program and multidisciplinary research projects on important fishery resources in the upper St. Johns River basin. Duties in addition to field work will include analysis of quantitative and qualitative fisheries and habitat data, preparation of annual study reports as assigned, dissemination of study findings in public and professional settings, participation in preparation of publications for peer review journals, supervision of technicians as assigned, as well as basic equipment maintenance.
Location: Palm Bay Fisheries Field Lab
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in one of the biological sciences and at least one year of professional experience in a field or laboratory program; or a master’s degrees from an accredited college or university in one of the biological sciences.
Applicants that have majors in fisheries science or fish biology or professional experience in a fisheries program may be given preference. Coursework in population dynamics and ecology is preferred.
Entry Level Knowledge, Skill(s), and Abilities
• Knowledge of methods and gears used to collect fish.
• Knowledge of basic principles of fisheries science.
• Knowledge of research study design
• Knowledge of basic data management and statistical analysis
• Skill in the use scientific laboratory and field equipment
• Skill in the use of personal computers and basic software programs such as the Microsoft Office package
• Able to trailer vessels up to 5000 lbs. and 21’ in length including launching and loading
• Able to safely operate outboard powers vessels to 21’ in length and 150 horsepower
• Able to safely operate airboats
• Able to effectively communicate scientific findings in written, verbal, and visual formats to stakeholders and to scientific peers
• Able to conduct fieldwork in all weather conditions
• Able to establish effective working relationships with coworkers and the public
• Must be physically fit: able to vertically lift at least 50 lbs, walk or stand for extended periods of time, and swim sufficiently to save oneself
• Able to participate in occasional overnight travel, evening and weekend work as required.
• Possess or be able to obtain and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license within a month of employment
Note: Applicants must apply by submitting a State of Florida application, resume, and cover letter People First website. (https://jobs.myflorida.com/ ). Search by location Palm Bay. Applicants may also attach other supporting documents through People First. Palm Bay position #77000115.
Application Deadline: November 30, 2018
FWC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA Employer. If you require an accommodation to participate in the application / selection process, please contact the hiring authority in advance.
The State of Florida hires only U.S. citizens and lawfully authorized alien workers. If a conditional offer of employment is made, you will be required to provide identification and proof of citizenship or authorization to work in the U.S.