2 interns for the fall 2021 field season starting mid-August-October). Much of this work is completed in remote areas - no cell signal - requiring frequent overnight camping in some of the most scenic areas of Utah.
Primary duties include assisting regional fisheries biologists with:
1. Native trout enhancement projects throughout Northeast Utah: fish trap/fish spawning operations, stream habitat improvement projects, stream rotenone treatments, invasive species removals (brook trout)
2. High mountain lake fish surveys and stream electrofishing surveys
3. Reservoir sampling, including gill netting, fyke netting, boat electrofishing, fish tagging, foodweb/ecology studies
4. Assist habitat program with habitat protection and enhancement activities, trespass cattle monitoring, riparian enclosure/exclosure fencing
5. Help with conservation outreach activities (fishing clinics/free fishing day)
All interns will be provided FEMA trailer housing while in Vernal, and some work related gear: waders, wader boots, uniform t-shirts and hat. Airport shuttle to and from Salt Lake City airport can be arranged upon request for successful candidates. Camper/tent, food, and supplies will be provided for overnight trips. Interns are expected to clean and maintain equipment and prepare for trips while not working in the field, as well as any data collection and entry tasks assigned.
No minimum experience required; however, education toward a career in a Natural Resource field is desired. Strong work ethic and the ability to observe, learn, and jump into tasks are desired. Experience with outdoor activities, fisheries/fishing, and identification of trout species may be used as additional ranking criteria. Candidates are expected to be able to pack 50 pounds through mountainous terrain for 8+ miles in a day, often in slippery, rocky terrain. These positions are intended to bolster the resumes of students who desire a career in Natural Resources while providing excellent networking opportunities with state and federal biologists. Students who can receive academic credit for internship completion are welcome to apply.
Apply by sending a cover letter, resume, and 3 references (at least one non-academic please) to below contact email.