This intern will gain hands-on experience with the professional staff of the Forest Preserve of Cook County’s fisheries section. Tasks include the everyday management of the Forest Preserves’ 40 fishing lakes and other
water bodies. Candidates must be hard-working and open-minded, with a passion for the conservational aspects of not only fisheries biology, but also general biology and the recreational aspects of fishing. Work location: McGinnis Field Station (Orland Park, IL). Personal vehicle required to access the station and all work sites (not near public transportation). This position will involve mostly outdoor work with limited time spent
inside; all staff and interns are required to follow COVID safety protocols given by the Forest Preserves of Cook County, Friends of the Forest Preserves, and all relevant government agencies. Please contact Alex Horvath at email@example.com if you would like the full list of safety protocols.
Program Timeframe: May 17th – September 3rd (up to 16 weeks with a minimum of 22.5 hrs/week)
• Handle fish sampling equipment, including but not limited to: dip nets, gill nets, trap nets, etc.
• Handle both live and dead fish specimens, as well as other types of wildlife
• Assist with the maintenance of Fisheries section equipment, facilities, and grounds
• May perform any and all duties of the Fisheries Technician as required or other assigned duties
• Speak publicly and present information on Forest Preserve Fisheries work to the public
• Data entry and office duties as needed
• Ability to work evenings and weekends
• Ability to comply with all COVID safety procedures
• Starting wage $14.25/hr, increased to $15/hr starting July 1st (up to 16 weeks with a minimum 22.5 hrs/week)
• Excellent networking and environmental enrichment opportunities
How to Apply: Send cover letter and resume to Alex Horvath at firstname.lastname@example.org; please make sure to include your cover letter and resume in a single document labeled with your last name and the words “fishery internship”. Example: Smith_fishery_internship
• Must be at least 18 years of age; must possess a current valid driver’s license
• Ability to work outdoors and in inclement weather. Must be comfortable around water.
• This position occasionally requires exposure to potentially hazardous work environment and the physical ability to perform various types of physical exertion, including, but not limited to: lifting,
pulling, pushing, and moving moderate to heavy weight (50 lbs.)
• Relevant educational background, including, but not limited to, general biology or science related course work
• Basic knowledge of current conservation practices as it applies to fish and aquatic vegetation
• Working knowledge of Microsoft office products including excel spreadsheets