SWCA Environmental Consultants is expanding their team and looking for a dynamic individual who is following their passion in delivering the highest-quality project work. SWCA conducts fisheries and aquatic work throughout the country, and we are currently seeking to fill 1 vacancy on the fisheries and aquatic team located in Albuquerque, NM. This position will be hired at a technician or entry-level biologist status; however, there are opportunities to grow rapidly within the company based on skillset and expertise. The position will involve laboratory work, fieldwork, and office work with the majority of work being split between the laboratory and field. Our fisheries team works primarily in watersheds of New Mexico; however, we also support fisheries and aquatic needs in various other states around the country.
The successful candidate must have excellent attention to detail, great organization skills, feel comfortable working in and around water, and be willing to work as part of a team or independently based on project needs. This position also requires light to moderate physical exertion such as hiking through water, hiking on uneven terrain, working in remote environments, and lifting heavy equipment. Responsibilities associated with this position include but are not limited to using a microscope for extended periods of time for identification of fish species and aquatic macroinvertebrates, hiking through water, pulling and setting nets, operating motorized and non-motorized equipment, measuring water quality, and handling live endangered and/or threatened species. The candidate will be responsible for assisting other senior staff with completing project tasks which may also include data entry, data QA/QC, data analysis, conducting desktop analyses, and/or report writing as needed.
• Identifying larval fish based on morphometrics and meristics using microscopes
• Identifying aquatic macroinvertebrates using microscopes
• Sampling endangered, threatened, and non-protected fish species using various equipment including fyke nets, dip nets, seines, and Moore Egg Collectors
• Measuring in situ water quality
• Entering data and conducting data QA/QC
• Operating four-wheel-drive vehicles on and off road
• Assisting staff with any requested tasks for project success
This position is a full-time, hourly position. Previous experience in fisheries, larval fish identification, and aquatic macroinvertebrate identification are preferred but not required. SWCA offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with individual skills and qualifications.
Experience and qualifications for success:
• Minimum of B.S. in Fisheries Biology, Aquatic Ecology, Wildlife Biology, Hydrology, Environmental Science, or related field
• Ability to conduct fieldwork carrying heavy equipment up to 50 lbs
• Ability to hike up to 10 miles per day while conducting various tasks
• Ability to use microscopes, digital tablets, GPS units, and multimeters
• Ability to follow protocols, learn new techniques, and resolve problems quickly
• Must be able to have a flexible work schedule including availability in the early mornings, weekends, nights, and occasional holidays
• Must possess current valid driver's license
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Strong communication, organization, and writing skills
SWCA Environmental Consultants is a growing employee-owned firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental services. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance firms and ranks among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms.
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please email email@example.com or call 800 828-8517. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/nV8yYYC2ELERhJOAT4pV6