Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Fisheries Technician Intern *AmeriCorps*-Idaho
Idaho Conservation Corps & Payette National Forest
$3,125 living allowance, prorated on a pay period (monthly) basis, a $1,527.45 education award upon completion of the 450 hours of service. The incumbent will receive training in CPR/First Aid & defensive driving. Housing in provided.
The Payette National Forest is recruiting one Fisheries Technician intern from May 29th through August 17th 2018. The incumbent will be working with a fisheries crew, conducting surveys across the Payette National Forest. The incumbent will also have opportunities to work alongside specialists from Fisheries and Hydrology
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position will primarily conduct sediment monitoring surveys (45% of time), stream habitat surveys (45% of time), and learn about stream temperature monitoring (5% of time). There may be an opportunity to learn how to electrofish and snorkel for presence/absence surveys (5 % of time). The intern would work with technicians across all five districts. This position will involve walking and working in cold turbulent streams, hiking up to 10 miles per day, occasional overnight camping and ten hour work days. Applicant will need to supply personal hiking boots, backpack, rain gear, sleeping bag and tent.
• Willingness to work as part of a small team
• Current driver’s license.
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Must know how to swim and be comfortable wading in cold streams
• Positive attitude
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50lbs
• Ability to work outdoors in remote settings and inclement weather on uneven ground
• Intern may travel to other duty stations during the work week and remain over-night occasionally
• Proficient in Excel
• Navigation experience, including use of printed maps and GPS
• Coursework in biology, fish biology, and/or stream ecology
• Strong interest in natural resource management
To Apply: Applicant must apply through the Idaho Conservation Corps website at http://www.idaho-conservationcorps.org/ourprograms/ConservationInterns