This multi-person crew will assist in survey and detection of Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (HWA) and treatment of HWA populations to protect the natural resources within state parks including but not limited to Silver Lake, Ludington, Muskegon, P.J. Hoffmaster, Saugatuck Dunes, Petoskey and Leelanau State Parks. Position is vital to control of priority invasive forest pests in Michigan. Work includes paid travel to field sites. Each member of the crew will gain hands-on experience in ecological restoration techniques, forest health concepts and resource stewardship of coastal forest ecosystems. Crew members should understand and appreciate the non financial rewards of helping to preserve Michigan’s natural resources for this and future generations.
ABOUT MCCC/AMERICORPS: MCCC Crew members have the opportunity to join AmeriCorps. AmeriCorps is domestic national service which provides educational awards upon completion of set time and performance requirements. Education service awards may be used for qualifying forms of higher education from vocational training to graduate school or may be used to repay existing qualified student loans. Other benefits include paid personal leave and paid administrative leave for career development and job searches. AmeriCorps service awards are subject to availability at the time of hire.
· Must be between 18 and 27 years of age (inclusive)
· High school graduate or G.E.D minimum
· Resident of the State of Michigan
· Have a social security card prior to the enrollment date
· Have a valid driver’s license
· No experience is required.
· College courses or other training in biology, ecological restoration, or related field is preferred
· Experience working with plants, wildlife, power tools or in the landscaping field also desirable
HOW TO APPLY
DNR Parks and Recreation Division is seeking to hire 4 full time technicians for one-year appointments. Nine month positions may be available.
Applicants submit DNR non-career application, resume and references via email.
Flexible hiring date to accommodate relocation.