Initial Posting Date:
2,721.00 - 4,030.00
Reforestation Technician (Forest Management Tech) Tillamook, Forest Grove and Astoria
Do you enjoy working outdoors and with people? Have you wondered what it would be like to have a state forest as your workspace? Do you have experience in reforestation methods and plantation maintenance operations? If this sounds like you, please consider joining our team.
The Oregon Department of Forestry's (ODF) Mission is – To serve the people of Oregon by protecting, managing, and promoting stewardship of Oregon's forests to enhance environmental, economic, and community sustainability.
These are seasonal full-time positions located in Tillamook, Forest Grove and Astoria.
What will you do?
You will carry out technical forestry tasks associated with unit goals, goals which contribute to the mission of the Oregon Department of Forestry, as assigned by the Reforestation Unit Forester.
The Benefits of Joining Our Team
The State of Oregon offers a competitive and affordable health and benefits package, including excellent medical, vision and dental coverage, paid holidays off, and personal business leave, as well as paid and accrued vacation leave and sick leave. In addition to standard medical benefits and employee leave, the state also provides additional optional benefits, such as basic life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, deferred compensation savings program, and flexible spending accounts for health care and childcare expenses.
How to Apply
Your candidate profile is the perfect place to display your interest in the position and highlight the skills and experience you will bring, making you the best candidate for the position. Submissions are screened for consistency of information and communication skills at the professional level (attention to detail, spelling, grammar, etc.).
• Current State of Oregon employees - You must apply through your employee Workday account.
• External Applicants - Please visit the State of Oregon job opportunities web-page to submit your application for the position.
Want to Know More? Let Me Help!
• The salary listed is the non-PERS qualifying salary range. If the successful candidate is PERS qualifying, the salary range will reflect the additional 6.95%
• This announcement is for 3 seasonal, full-time positions located in Tillamook, Forest Grove and Astoria offices. Positions are 5 to 6 months in length and will work approximately from October through April.
• If you have questions regarding these positions, please contact Erick Finnell, Tillamook Reforestation Unit Manager at 503-815-7023 or email Erick.R.Finnell@oregon.gov.
• These positions are represented by Service Employees International Union.
• Please note all communication regarding this recruitment will be through Workday and it will be important for you to monitor your portal.
• Please review the Classification and Compensation page for more details on the classification, or you may visit our website for information on the job offer process following pay equity.
• If you have questions about the job announcement, or need an alternate format to apply, please contact Recruiter, Michele Olson at: Michele.L.Olson@Oregon.gov | 503-945-7306.
• Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States. Applicants who require VISA sponsorship will not be considered at this time
• These positions require the operation of a State vehicle for the purpose of conducting official State business. An Oregon driving record check will be conducted on the top applicants to ensure a valid license and acceptable driving record. If your license is from outside Oregon, you must submit at least a three year court/DMV printout.
ODF seeks a workforce that reflects the diversity and values of Oregonians and provides a safe, inclusive, and supportive environment. ODF promotes and supports the value of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Affirmative Action (AA), and diversity.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
Candidates whose demonstrate skills, abilities and/or experience in the following:
• 18 months experience working in the field of forestry, forest management, reforestation, or natural resources; OR
• Associate Degree in Forestry, Forest Engineering, Forest Management, Forest Recreation or a related natural resource field of study; OR An equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Proven experience as an excellent communicator who is honest, fair and inclusive among employees, partners and stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to foster a culture of service, workforce diversity, equity and inclusion, team environment, and strong internal communication and alignment.
• Experience in reforestation methods and plantation maintenance operations.
• Experience conducting stocking surveys, planting inspections, herbicide applications, or pre-commercial thinning operations.
• Good computer skill and the ability to work effectively with a variety programs (Geographic Info Systems/GIS and Microsoft Office - Word, Excel & Outlook.)
• Experience with reading and interpreting maps.
• Experience with data collection and recording.
• Demonstrates ability to be highly motived working independently and efficiently on multiple tasks and issues.