Wiregrass Ecological Associates (WEA) is seeking qualified candidates for a full-time program director to lead our practice in the Coeur D’ Alene, Idaho area. The area of operation includes program management and marketing throughout Idaho and Montana. This position will also serve to meet the shared stewardship goals of our partner National Deer Association (NDA) in the region.
• Coordinate with US Forest Service and NDA staff to develop, modify, manage, and track all aspects (including budgets, contracting mechanisms, and accomplishments) of forest enhancement projects (e.g., harvesting, hand thinning, mechanical thinning, mastication, biomass removal, herbicide application, etc.) that benefit deer and other wildlife.
• Build and maintain close and mutually beneficial collaborative relationships among Federal and State land management agencies (US Forest Service, Idaho Department of Land, Bureau of Land Management, etc.) non-governmental organizations, and NDA partners to implement effective landscape scale conservation and stewardship partnerships.
• Develop new partnerships and clients that promote effective forest management and enhancement projects for the local ecosystem and expand outdoor experiences.
• Responsible for understanding and becoming engaged in current issues, policy development, and emerging innovations that enhance the delivery and efficacy of WEA programs.
• Marketing and securing new work, client development, and management.
• Develop and administer annual operational budgets for the region.
• Provide oversight and management of regional staff, including hiring and retention.
• Bachelor's degree(s) or higher in forestry, wildlife ecology, or environmental sciences related field (masters or higher preferred). An understanding of forestry and silviculture, conservation implementation, habitat management, and wildlife biology desired.
• Minimum 10 years’ experience with 5 years in program and project administration, including demonstrable experience leading teams.
• This position requires excellent leadership, organizational, and networking/communication skills (presentation, inter-personal, reading, writing); capability to solve problems involving multiple stakeholders, and program management experience.
• Proven business development and program management experience to manage staff and multiple projects, produce effective results, and meet deadlines and budgets.
• Demonstrate knowledge and experience with the flora, fauna, and forested ecosystems of northern Idaho (preferred). Experience with delivering programs that target the implementation and management of these ecosystems including fuels reduction, forest health and enhancement, fire science, vegetation management, wildlife conservation, and hydrologic improvements.
• Experience working with private landowners, non-governmental organizations, and Federal and State agencies (e.g., US Forest Service, Idaho Department of Lands, National Deer Association).
• Experience working with U.S. Forest Service (or other federal agency) agreements, such as Stewardship Agreements and Challenge Cost Share Agreements, or other contracts to implement habitat projects.
• Ability to use Microsoft Office, ArcGiS, accounting, and project management applications.
• Applicant must have a valid driver's license.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references in a single document (PDF preferred) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Application for Forest Stewardship and Ecological Program Director”.