Work as a member of a forest management team under the direction of professional foresters. Collect forest inventory cruise data and will mark trees for removal according to various management prescriptions. Assist foresters in planning harvest operations including locating and flagging in property boundaries using aerial photographs and land deeds, laying out skid roads, wetland/stream crossings, selecting landing areas and creating harvest maps.
• Ability to work and hike in rugged terrain and inclement weather
• Ability to read and follow GIS data and maps
• Ability to work independently.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Availability and desire to travel throughout the service area.
• Ability to identify local (CT, RI, MA) tree species, apply forestry concepts and prescriptions to enhance forest potential and achieve landowner goals
• Organizational skills; working knowledge of computers and programs, file creation, manipulation and sharing.
• Be able to lift minimum 40 lbs
• Ability to navigate using a map and compass
• Preferred: experience in a forestry related field