The Mohonk Preserve helps to protect the Shawangunk Mountains region and inspire people to care for, enjoy, and explore their natural world. The Preserve manages ~8,000 acres of the northern Shawangunk Mountains in Ulster County, NY through four integrated programs – Conservation Science, Education, Land Stewardship, and Land Protection.
The Preserve has a century long legacy of conducting ecological research and environmental education; it provides over 70 miles of carriage roads and trails for hiking, running, biking, horseback, skiing, and outdoor exploration; it is the home of one of America’s premier rock-climbing destinations. Through its programs and activities, the Preserve welcomes over 300,000 visitors annually.
The Forest Vegetation Field Technician will be responsible for surveying and collecting field data on vegetation composition, structure, and white-tailed deer browse-impact by following established field protocols on new and existing monitoring sites. The technician will also be responsible for entering and managing the collected data and preparing a project assessment report summarizing seasonal findings. Field work will include but is not limited to navigating off-trail to sampling sites; establishing or revisiting sampling plots and transects; collecting vegetation data (including species inventory, plant heights/percent cover, tree dbh, canopy cover, deer browse presence); identifying plants to species using dichotomous keys; plant tagging; and assessing habitat quality. Additional duties include meticulously entering data into Excel spreadsheets and performing data quality checks.
Location: Based at Mohonk Preserve’s Daniel Smiley Research Center, 1000 Mountain Rest Road, New Paltz, NY
Time: Part-time, Seasonal (May to August 2021, 30-40 hrs. per week, hours per week flexible)
Compensation: $14.00/hour; Preserve membership for the duration of the position; housing not available
Application Deadline: March 19th, 2021
How to apply: Applications accepted via e-mail only. Please submit as a single PDF: cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for 3 professional references by 5PM EST March 19th, 2021 to: email@example.com Include in subject line “Forest Vegetation Technician”. No phone calls please.
Mohonk Preserve is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes a diverse pool of candidates.
• Bachelor’s degree in biology, forestry, ecology, or related field.
• Experience conducting field research essential; experience conducting forest vegetation surveys preferred.
• Ability to identify Northeastern vegetation, especially woody species.
• Experience using forestry equipment including but not limited to tape measures, DBH tape, densitometer, compass, clinometer, and quadrats.
• Experience orienteering using a GPS unit.
• Ability to work with computer applications including Microsoft Office, experience with ArcGIS software preferred.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with both field work and managing data.
• Capability of occasionally walking several miles through forests in a given day carrying a backpack over uneven terrain in potentially adverse field conditions (biting insects, rain, heat, humidity, etc.).
• Must be able to jointly work independently and interact professionally with a variety of Preserve stakeholders.
• Must have a valid driver’s license.
• Ability to work some irregular hours, including some weekends.