American Forest Management, Inc. (AFM) is the largest forest consulting and real estate brokerage firm in the United States. AFM currently manages over 6 million acres of privately owned timberland and has sold over $2 billion in real estate transactions. With 273 employees operating from 49 offices located in 16 states, AFM’s team of professionals are focused on meeting client needs by providing a complete range of forestry services including land and wildlife management, land sale and acquisition services, forest inventory and design, growth and yield modeling, cash flow projections, environmental services, appraisal, forest resource data management and harvest scheduling. Our small regionally dispersed offices allow us to provide individualized services, and our large overall size allows us to coordinate teams of foresters and technical specialists for large, complex jobs.
Full-time position - Minimum of 45 hours per week required, vehicle provided, out-of-town and overnight work may be required (expenses paid). Responsible for helping manage forested lands for economic, recreational, and conservation purposes. Capabilities must include the ability to inventory the type, amount, and location of standing timber, appraise the timber’s worth, and negotiate and close the purchase and sale agreement. Responsibilities shall also include knowing how to conserve wildlife habitats, creek beds, water quality, and soil stability, and how best to comply with best management practices and environmental regulations.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
• All aspects of fieldwork, office work, analysis, and reporting to landowner/client.
• Assists in managing all aspects of logging operations including harvest set up, harvest inspections and merchandising trees into various forest products.
• Assists in planning, negotiations, administration, and inspection of other forestry-related activities such as road construction and maintenance, timber marking, boundary establishment, and other land management projects as assigned.
• Assists in development and administering budgets.
• Monitors BMP and EMS Compliance to ensure third party SFI Certification.
• Uses Geographic Information System (GIS) to assist in managing TIMO and NIPF lands.
• Participates in forest inventory projects individually or with a team.
• Generate new business by meeting with potential clients to explain our business, etc.
• Create management plans that capture landowner objectives and offer solutions to achieve those goals.
• Perform all aspects of timber sale development, including timber inventory, boundary establishment, preparing timber sale bid notices, marketing, and reviewing timber sale contracts.
• Prepare and negotiate contracts with independent contractors for clients’ management services.
• Supervise contracted services, including certifying completion of work for payment.
• Plan, contract and direct all types of harvesting and reforestation projects.
• Plan and design forest inventories, gather field data, work up cruise data, update stand records and maps manually and electronically.
• Plan cutting programs to assure continuous production of timber or to assist clients to achieve other timber or wildlife habitat management objectives.
• Highly proficient with MS Word, Excel, and GIS software.
• Ability to use GPS and hand-held data recorders.
• Has current Registered Forester’s license or ability to become a Registered Forester within 1 year.
• Required travel and ability to function as a team member on large projects throughout the U.S.
• Working knowledge of forestry skills including the use of tools used in timber cruising, photo interpretation, surveying, timber harvesting, road construction, chemical and mechanical site preparation, planning, organizing and other duties that pertain to forest management.
• Able to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. Able to write reports, business correspondence, specifications, procedures and assist in drafting contracts. Able to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, clients, customers, regulators and the public.
• Able to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Able to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
• Able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form and implement them efficiently and effectively.
• Valid driver’s license
• Office and remote field environments. Utilization of various means of transportation including off road and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs). Required to drive, ride or walk through rough terrain in difficult weather conditions, in daylight and dark, in wet and dry environments. Involves working long periods of time outdoors, sometimes in adverse weather conditions, for days or weeks and will include overnight travel to other AFM Regions.
• Exposure to loud noise, extreme temperatures, fumes or air borne particles, outdoor weather conditions, and inclement weather. Exposure to heavy equipment operations.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to drive, walk, wade, stand, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to bend, stoop, reach with hands and arms, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry.
• Two years of forestry experience preferred.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Strong listening capabilities with the ability to translate communications into appropriate course of action.
Salary and Benefits:
• Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
• Salary position paid semi-monthly
• 9 paid holidays
• Paid vacation schedule
• Company vehicle provided, including personal use at minimal cost
• Healthcare and disability plan
• 401 (K) retirement plan
• Eligible for annual and new business bonus plans
To apply, please go to: http://atsod.com/j/s.cfm/1011