Department: Ranching and Conservation
Position location: Cimarron, NM 87714
Philmont Scout Ranch is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated individual to serve as Forester. The ideal candidate will have a background in forest land management emphasizing restoration, wildlife habitat, watershed protection, and multiple use.
The Forester will work with Philmont’s Director of Conservation and oversee 30 seasonal staff in the formulation, implementation, and execution of forest management activities. This will include pre- and post-wildfire mitigation, prescriptions, fuel load reduction and timber harvest, GIS, equipment management, and training related to these areas.
• Lead development and manage the execution of forest management prescriptions including grants, permits, and other agreements using staff, contractors, and partners to meet identified land management priorities.
• Supervision of seasonal Conservation forestry and GIS staff.
• Assist in development of a comprehensive forest management plan to include long and short-term goals with quantifiable benchmarks.
• Provide staff training related to forestry operations.
• Coordinate with wildlife and field operations staff to execute a balanced conservation program demonstrating excellence in land resource management.
• Promote Philmont’s forest management to internal and external audiences through presentations and various media.
• Other job-related duties as assigned.
The National Council, Boy Scouts of America is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to offering a competitive annual salary, the BSA offers benefits to include major medical, prescription coverage, dental, vision, life-insurance, short and long-term disability, accidental death, and a defined benefit retirement plan. We also offer generous Personal Time Off and 11 holiday observances.
• Degree in Forestry, Natural Resources, Fire Ecology, Land Management or other related fields.
• A minimum of two years’ forestry experience in western pine forest systems.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office 365 (e. Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word).
• Proven GIS skills are strongly desired.
• Prior Philmont experience is not required.