Position Description: Forestry and Restoration Seasonal Intern
Location: based in Mt. Horeb, WI; work sites generally within 70 miles of Madison, WI
Schedule: May 20, 2021 – July 16, 2021. 8-40 hours/week; start and end dates flexible
Compensation: $13/hr + (pay commensurate with experience)
Looking to hire immediately: The Forestry and Restoration Seasonal Intern is responsible for implementing science-based restoration practices on lands owned or managed by Adaptive Restoration’s clients. The intern works under supervision of our full-time staff members. During this internship, you will develop knowledge, skills, abilities and experience in the science and practice of forestry and restoration ecology. You will learn hands-on land stewardship skills using Southwest Wisconsin’s prairies, savannas and woodlands as your office.
What you will learn
• Identification of native and non-native plants of Wisconsin
• Ecological restoration theory and practice
• Hands-on restoration and land stewardship skills
• Business organization and management
• Assist with and implement science-based land management and restoration practices,
including herbicide application, brush cutting, mowing, weeding, seeding, and tree felling.
• Work outdoors with a field staff of 1-8 employees, volunteers, or subcontractors.
• Assist with ecological assessments and monitoring of prairies, savannas, wetlands, forests
and other natural areas.
• Assist with company communications, advertising, and outreach.
• Track and document use of restoration-related materials., and internship-related expenses
and hours worked.
• Bring a sense of humor, strong work ethic and positive attitude to the work site.
• Training stipend
• Safety equipment allowance
• Paid time off
For more information, or to apply, contact:
Adaptive Restoration LLC
8864 Offerdahl Road
Mount Horeb, WI 53572
HR@adaptiverestoration.com (608) 554-0411 instagram.com/adaptiverestoration/
To apply, email a PDF of your cover letter, resume and 3 references to the address above. Please include “2021 Seasonal” in the subject line of your e-mail. Applications will be considered as they are received. A minimum commitment of 8 hours/week is required. Start/end date and work schedule is negotiable - Please indicate your availability.
About Adaptive Restoration
Adaptive Restoration was formally organized in 2006. We provide high-quality science-based ecological consulting, restoration and land stewardship services. We are a small, growing, family-owned business providing a high level of ecological expertise and customer service to our clients. Our staff has over 90 years combined experience in land management, and we enjoy working and playing outdoors. We work in a variety of urban, suburban and rural landscapes in southern Wisconsin. For more information, please visit our web site at adaptiverestoration.com
Duties and responsibilities are designed to be the essential elements of the job. They do not preclude the performance of related, or even unrelated, jobs which may be necessary to properly and efficiently complete all work assignments. Adaptive Restoration reserves the right to amend job specifications to meet current needs. Adaptive Restoration is an equal-opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request.
Required education and experience
Must be a graduate, accepted for enrollment, or currently enrolled in a undergraduate or graduate-level program related to ecological or natural resources, such as Botany, Biology, Environmental Science, Forestry, Geography, Landscape Architecture, Agronomy, Wildlife Ecology, or Soil Science. Students enrolled in other fields of study (e.g. Business, English, Fine Arts, Political Science, or Engineering) are encouraged to apply. Those with relevant field experience are also encouraged to apply.
Required certifications and licenses
• Wisconsin Commercial Pesticide Applicator (must be obtained within 30 days of start
• Valid Wisconsin Drivers License
Required knowledge, skills and abilities
• Ability to lift and carry large objects such as logs, tree branches, and water containers
weighing up to 70 pounds.
• Ability to safely operate a 4-wheel drive motor vehicle off road.
• Ability to work outdoors in steep, rugged terrain in adverse weather conditions, including
wind, rain, and temperatures ranging from 0oF – 95oF.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision.
• Ability to use gas-powered tools such as chainsaws, brush cutters, and mowers.
• Ability to acquire and maintain necessary licenses, permits and certifications.
• Ability to identify native and non-native plants in the field.
• Ability to meet our crew on site or at our shop, on time (must have reliable transportation).
• Skill at completing tasks efficiently with attention to detail.
Desired knowledge, experience and certifications
• Plant identification skills
• Natural history expertise
• Mechanical aptitude with power tools
• Current CPR/First Aid Certification (WFR or WFA preferred)
• Experience gardening, farming or landscaping