This opportunity is for a Seasonal Forestry Technician OR Seasonal Forestry Assistant position working primarily on the Moonlight Fire Area Restoration Project on the Plumas National Forest. The project will complete watershed and forest health restoration activities in areas where the high severity fire occurred and is located on National Forest System lands on the Plumas National Forest (PNF), Mt. Hough Ranger District. The position is based out of Quincy, CA.
Technical duties include, but not limited to, reforestation contract inspection, timber stand improvement (TSI), habitat and landscape restoration. Three (3) seasonal positions from approximately late February to early November 2021. Start and end dates may change due to snowpack and weather conditions. Compensation between $15-$20/hour, dependent on experience.
MAJOR DUTIES – Seasonal Forestry Technician
• Serves as an inspector on specific contracts as assigned. Inspects silviculture contract work (e.g., planting, thinning, seeding, site preparation) for compliance with the contract. Directs contractor in steps necessary for contract compliance and reports violations to COR. Ensures all provisions are enforced and proper measures are taken to protect or enhance values in accordance with contract objectives. Prepares and submits related inspection reports, checks for compliance on needed corrective actions, and recommends final acceptance of the contract upon completion.
• Assists in the preparation of recurring reports associated with the unit TSI and reforestation program.
• Performs reforestation and stocking surveys in accordance with established procedures to determine planting needs, need for site preparation, plantation conditions, and seedling survival.
• Performs timber stand improvement surveys to determine stand conditions and the need for TSI treatments, such as precommercial thinning, mistletoe treatment, pruning, and fertilization. Traverses project areas, determine acreage, and drafts maps of those areas.
• Performs work for the purpose of aspen stand restoration including hand thinning and building fencing to reduce browse impacts.
OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES – Seasonal Forestry Technician / Assistant
This position requires flexibility in duties and responsibilities. Position may also require:
• (10-15%) working on wetland and riparian mitigation projects performing duties related to riparian enhancement and invasive weed control. Major duties include planting, plant protection, irrigation operation and maintenance, assisting with botanical surveys, hand pulling invasive weeds, biological surveys and monitoring.
• Other duties as assigned.
MAJOR DUTIES – Seasonal Forestry Assistant
Assist Seasonal Forestry Technician and Crew Lead on with the above tasks and duties.
Minimum Qualifications: The successful applicant for the position must possess the following minimum qualifications:
• Technician position: Bachelor’s degree in forestry, natural resource sciences, biology, or related field preferred. Related work experience may substitute for education qualification.
• Assistant position: High School diploma or GED and pursuing a degree in forestry, natural resource management, biology, or related field OR related work experience
Technician and Assistant position:
• A valid driver’s license and a safe driving record. (4-wheel drive experience preferred.)
• Ability and willingness to be away from home for overnight stays, camp in remote areas, work in inclement weather and work on holidays and weekends.
• Physical capability and endurance to conduct fieldwork in remote settings under strenuous conditions, including the ability to carry up to 50 lbs. over rough terrain and hike for an extended length of time in extreme heat.
• Knowledge of the fundamentals of natural resource management, forestry, ecology and general concepts involved in the district assignment.
• Ability to adhere to workplace safety and COVID-19 protocols.
Desired Qualifications: Ideally, the successful applicant will possess the following skills:
• Knowledge of natural resource management, particularly forestry and silviculture.
• Knowledge of, and work experience with, forest management and/or field surveys.
• Experience with natural resource management.
• Experience hiking in the Sierra Nevada or similar high elevation areas.
• Experience and aptitude operating handheld electronic equipment, such as smartphones, digital cameras, GPS units, radios, tablets, etc.
• Experience using ArcGIS software.
• Sufficient experience with computer applications to input and manage data, including MS Office programs.
• Ability to be well organized and handle occasionally challenging field logistics.
• Ability to follow detailed field protocols and thoroughly collect data.
• Ability to effectively communicate with field crew members and the public.
• Ability to communicate in Spanish.
• Experience and/or training with chainsaw usage and maintenance.
• Experience and/or training with prescribed fire and underburn techniques.
• Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder certification.
This position requires long hours working in mountainous terrain and inclement weather, confidence in project design, and knowledge of silviculture practices. During the inspection of planting release, inspectors will be inspecting and in proximity to herbicide spot-treatments.
Based on work availability and performance, this position has the potential for extension. The Feather River Resource Conservation District has and is building other natural resource management programs including prescribed fire, watershed restoration, noxious weed control, and more.
If participating in prescribed burn activities: technician/assistant must provide their own fire boots meeting these criteria: 8-inch high Vibram sole leather boots. This gear is not a requirement for the position, but it is a requirement for this potential job duty.
To apply for this position please email a cover letter, current resume including 3 references, and college transcripts – if applicable (unofficial is acceptable) in PDF format to Julia Sidman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be submitted by the end of the day on January 6, 2021.