Idaho Conservation Corps & Payette National Forest
Payette National Forest- New Meadows, ID
$6,250 living allowance dispersed on a monthly basis, a $2,887.50 education award upon completion of the 900 hours of service. The incumbent will receive training in CPR/First Aid & defensive driving. Housing in provided.
The Payette National Forest is recruiting one Forestry Technician (Silviculture) summer/fall intern from May 29th through October 26th 2018. The incumbent will be paired with a permanent Forest Service Employee to collect data to calibrate LiDAR imagery to meet NFMA (National Forest Management Act) requirements. This position will typically work four ten hour days per week (Monday through Thurs).
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position will primarily perform field surveys to collect data to calibrate LIDAR imagery to meet NFMA requirements for Collaborative Forest Landscape Restoration Projects 6 and 8. The field surveys will mainly consist of tree and vegetation species identification and measurements. The intern can expect moderately strenuous activity including walking in rough and uneven terrain with pack and gear weighing approximately 25 pounds. When not doing NFMA surveys intern will assist the timber program with Timber Sale Prep. These duties include designating sale boundaries and selecting individual trees for harvest. LiDAR field verification / ground trothing-70%, Timber Sale Prep-20%, Other duties as assigned-10%.
• Willingness to work as part of a small team
• Current driver’s license.
• Good written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to lift and carry up to 30lbs
• Ability to work outdoors in remote settings and inclement weather on uneven ground
• Intern will travel to other duty stations during the work week and remain over-night often
• Experience reading maps and attention to detail
• Previous experience using GPS and GIS
• Previous experience using GPS units and other forest measurement tools
• Coursework in biology, silviculture or related field
• Strong interest in resource management.
To Apply: Applicant must apply through the Idaho Conservation Corps' website: http://www.idaho-conservationcorps.org/ourprograms/ConservationInterns