POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: Front-end Developer
Conservation Science Partners (CSP; csp-inc.org) is seeking a Front-end Developer to support the technical work of 25+ creative conservation biologists, ecologists, and social scientists implementing 50+ science-driven projects across the U.S. and internationally.
Core responsibilities for this position include:
• Design, development, implementation, and management of web mapping applications and/or interactive data dashboards for effective science communication for multiple research initiatives or projects simultaneously; liaising with diverse partners or clients, as needed.
• Supporting manuscripts, reports, proposals, professional presentations, and science communication tools.
• Demonstrated capacity to work in creative collaboration with diverse partners.
Required qualifications: We are seeking someone with experience in building custom web applications from the ground up. Graduate and post-graduate experience in ecology or a natural resources field is desirable, but not necessary. Applied experience will be looked upon favorably. Other required qualifications are expected to include:
• Knowledge of common Geographic Information System data formats and tools to download, process, and export such data for use on web platforms using appropriate mapping APIs. Open source tools are generally preferred, such as R, python, and GDAL/OGR. Mapping platforms could include Mapbox-gl, leaflet.js, and Google Maps API.
• Experience deploying web applications to remote servers and cloud platforms such as Google App Engine and Microsoft Azure App Service.
Preferred qualifications or skills:
• Ability to design wireframes or mockups of fairly simple websites and dashboards with modern aesthetics.
• Knowledge of server technologies to house and serve geospatial data such as geoserver and postgis/postgresql, particularly on cloud platforms.
• Ability to utilize versioning tools (git) and online platforms (github, gitlab).