Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Georgia Sea Turtle Center Education Husbandry AmeriCorps Member
The Georgia Sea Turtle Center
Jekyll Island, Georgia
Salary and Benefits: Living Allowance ($13,732 for the twelve months), island amenities, education award ($5,920) at completion of service term. Housing available and student loan deferment. Housing: On-site shared house with utilities will be available. $100 dollar ($50 refundable) deposit required upon arrival with $200 rent deducted from stipend automatically each month. Houses are air-conditioned and equipped with basic furniture, Wi-Fi, kitchen and bathroom supplies. You must provide your own linens, towels, & food. Not provided by employer but available: telephone, and cable. Temporary JI parking pass will be supplied. Please note, pets are not allowed in housing. *Travel and transportation costs will not be covered by GSTC *Essential functions need to be able to be performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Duration of Program: September 1, 2018 – August 31, 2019 (1 position)
The Georgia Sea Turtle Center (GSTC), opened on June 16, 2007, is a state-of-the-art facility focused on sea turtle rehabilitation, research and education. The GSTC is located on beautiful Jekyll Island, a barrier island along Georgia’s southeast coast. The GSTC includes an Interactive exhibit gallery, a viewing window into the veterinary care area, an elevated walkway though the rehabilitation pavilion and a gift shop. Visitors take a self-guided tour through the Center, which is enhanced by daily educational programs. We offer in-house and outreach programs to schools, tour groups and community organizations, and represent the GSTC at various environmental events.
Position Description and Essential Functions: The GSTC Husbandry Education Member is a fully integrated cross departmental position within the husbandry department of the GSTC with a focus on interpretation of husbandry and veterinary care. Member responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Conduct and assist in developing educational programs from the hospital during patient treatments and procedures and assist with treatments and basic diagnostics as needed.
• Conduct daily educational programs in hospital pavilion and exhibit gallery as necessary
• Conduct and assist in developing husbandry education programs from the pavilion during ongoing daily husbandry tasks. Perform tank and filtration maintenance, diet preparation, feeding and behavioral observation as needed
• Lead regular Behind the Scenes tours and Meet the Patients programs for public and school programs
• Create and maintain patient slide show for treatment room window
• Participate in center outreach and special events opportunities
• Assist with education program guide volunteer training
• Assist research department with animal husbandry tasks as necessary and permissible
• Positive attitude
• A desire to learn
• Excellent communication and writing skills
• Strong public speaking skills
• Basic computer skills
• Well organized
• Self-motivated and able to work independently or with a team
• Flexible schedule
• 18+ yrs of age
• 3rd year Undergraduate or beyond
• U.S Citizen
• Ability to obtain a U.S. driver’s license
• High school diploma
• Preferred (but not required): Bachelor’s Degree; experience in education and animal husbandry; professional knowledge or veterinary hospital experience
Interested applicants should submit cover letter, resume, and 3 letters of recommendation at http://www.jekyllisland.com/jekyll-island-authority/employment/ .
*No phone calls please