Texas A&M Forest Service is seeking a highly motivated team member who has passion for applying geospatial analysis to natural resources. This individual will be part of an integrated team in the Forest Resource Development division that works to deliver tools and information to support the agency mission of assuring the state’s trees, forests, and related natural resources are protected and sustained.
General summary: Conduct geospatial analysis, produce maps, and gather or develop data for use in spatial analyses and maps. Assist professional staff in the design and delivery of accurate and timely analyses of forest resource issues. Build capacity and effectively deliver technical information in reports, presentations, and websites.
• Develop geospatial analyses, including damage assessments, mapping of forest inventory data, forest change mapping, and woody supply analysis.
o Formulate geospatial analysis techniques in support of FRD programs.
o Gather and compile geospatial data and evaluate quality of data for accuracy and completeness.
o Obtain/prepare remotely sensed data and conduct necessary pre-processing of the data.
o Perform geospatial analyses.
o Create and modify maps, graphs, and charts using ArcGIS Desktop and other tools.
o Maintain remotely sensed data and applications that support FRD programs.
o Develop and maintain metadata.
• Provide geospatial analysis support to My City's Trees, post-disturbance forest restoration, down woody materials estimations, BMP monitoring site selection, forestland ownership determination, ecosystem services valuation, and other special projects.
• Develop visualizations, interactive digital products, and web-based products.
• Assist in the development of geospatial applications.
• Support division collaboration and program messaging through application of latest technology.
• Grow professionally by attending conferences and taking advantage of learning resources.
• Make meaningful contributions as an integral part of a cohesive team.
• Develop leadership skills and experience.
• Explore new and emerging technologies and help agency stay on cutting edge.
• Move up quickly with established career ladder for position and corresponding substantial pay increases.
• Work on a wide variety of projects, with ability to contribute to vision and direction.
• Participate in non-traditional projects, such as unmanned aerial systems, innovative technology, and emergency response support.
• Help determine direction of agency’s geospatial work.
• Interact and collaborate with professionals across a broad array of forestry-related disciplines, including urban and community forestry, forest inventory and analysis, forest health, forest management, and wildland fire.
• Contribute to the sustainability of natural resources in Texas and beyond.
Texas A&M Forest Service offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, and long-term disability insurance, retirement benefits, paid time off, and health and lifestyle programs. For more information about Texas A&M Forest Service and our careers, please visit https://tfsweb.tamu.edu/careers. Come grow with us!
• Bachelor’s degree in forestry, spatial sciences, math, statistics, or related field of study.
• Minimum of 2 years in geospatial analysis, statistical analysis, or similar, in either an academic or professional setting.
• Strong working knowledge of concepts and processes of geospatial analysis including creating, manipulating, editing, organizing, maintaining, geoprocessing, analyzing, and visualizing spatial data.
• Analytical skills in at least one of the following areas: environmental geospatial modeling, remote sensing, and/or spatial statistics.
• Ability to work independently and use sound judgment to find solutions to common, complex problems.
• Ability to manage projects effectively.
• Ability and desire to keep abreast of new developments and standards in geospatial technology and analysis.
• Proficient in MS Office, ArcGIS Desktop, remote sensing software, and statistical software.
• Demonstrated problem solving and critical thinking skills.
• Constructive participation in critiques of own work and work of others.
• Ability to communicate work to both technical and non-technical audiences, with effective oral, written, and visual modes of communication.
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
• Graduate degree in forestry, spatial sciences, math, statistics, or related field of study.
• Experience with or interest in natural resources, especially forestry.
• Experience in one or more of the following areas: forest inventory data, hydrological modeling, disaster mapping, land use/land cover change, ecosystem services valuation, urban heat island effect, LiDAR, and unmanned aerial systems.
• Demonstrated skill with scripting geospatial processing in Python and/or R.
• Working knowledge of relational database concepts.
• Familiarity with concepts of computer programming and application development.
• Strong cartographic skills and experience producing high-quality maps.
• Demonstrated visual and graphic design skills.
• Working knowledge of Google Earth Engine.
• Experience with machine learning and advanced statistical techniques.
• Proficient in Adobe Creative Cloud.
Application procedure: Job will be open until filled. To apply, complete an application accessed from https://tamus.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/TFS_External/job/College-Station-TFS/Geospatial-Analyst-I_R-052409.