The Martha’s Vineyard Land Bank seeks two individuals to assist during the summer season in the ecological goat grazing program. The Land Bank has established a goat grazing program with approximately 160 goats to reclaim old fields and manage invasive and aggressive plant species. The goatherds will work with the Land Bank Ecologist and Staff to implement summer grazing rotations.
Application for employment with the land bank is located on the land bank website at www.mvlandbank.com under employment opportunities. Use the link to the online application form and follow instructions to upload cover letter and resume.
Typical Goatherd Duties Include:
• Setting up and taking down moveable electric fence at specific grazing locations
• Cutting fence line ahead with a walk behind mower
• Bringing water and minerals to goats daily with water tank in truck
• Assessing the goat herd’s health daily
• Assisting Land Bank Staff with moving the goats to properties on trailers
• Assisting in hoof trimming and worming and doing health checks of the herd
Successful applicants must demonstrate good communication skills; ability to work both independently and as part of a team; have own vehicle transportation; and enjoy working outside in all weather with livestock. Successful applicants will also have experience working with goats or other similar livestock, as well as experience driving small to midsize trucks, moving trailers, cutting grass/brush with a walk behind mower, and setting moveable electric fencing.