Point count technician (1) needed for GCWA monitoring project as part of a cooperative agreement with USFWS. The project will survey the entire breeding range of the species in central TX.
Primary job responsibilities
• Early-morning point counts to survey for GCWA, collecting vegetation data, and data entry
• Equipment maintenance
• Managing databases
• Proofing entered data, etc.
Candidates will be expected to work long hours with early starts in relatively difficult field conditions (e.g., high temperature, plenty of sun, rough terrain at times, lots of hiking). Housing will be provided and may include hotels, bunk houses, and other forms of field housing. As such, candidates should be flexible about housing and sharing rooms with other technicians. A significant amount of travel will be required. Preference will be shown for individuals that are willing to drive a personal vehicle for field work on rough roads requiring high ground clearance. Mileage will be reimbursed. This position is an excellent opportunity to work with multiple partners on GCWA conservation in TX.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
Send one PDF document including 1) cover letter, 2) resume, 3) names and contact information for three work references to Helen Davis (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Excellent navigational abilities
• Meticulous data collection skills
• Ability to work independently and as a team
• Good inter-personal skills
• A valid driver’s license
• Ideal technicians will have experience conducting avian point counts
• Experience with identification of Texas grassland birds
• Must be 18 years old or older and a US citizen
• Selected candidate will need to be able to pass a hearing test