The Bulluck lab at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA seeks to hire two field technicians (one lead and one assistant) to assist with Golden-winged Warbler research in southern Highland County, Virginia between April 24 (flexible within a week) and June 24. The Golden-winged Warbler population has declined sharply, especially in the Appalachian region, and is being reviewed for protection under the Endangered Species Act. Our goal is to estimate Golden-winged Warbler annual and within-season survival through use of telemetry methods. This project is part of a range wide effort, involving multiple states and partners.
Primary duties will include locating Golden-winged Warblers and their nests in densely vegetated habitat, capturing birds using targeted mist-netting, banding and measuring captured birds, attaching telemetry tags, and tracking the movements of tagged individuals. Fieldwork will be conducted in steep terrain and remote conditions. Applicants must be adaptable and expect periodic schedule changes within the season. Attention to detail is important and applicants with prior experience mist-netting, banding birds, and attaching telemetry tags will have preference. Housing and transportation to and from field sites is provided.
Required (for lead)
• Experience with mist nets and banding songbirds
Required (lead and assistant)
• Comfortable working outdoors for long hours.
• Ability to work independently and as a team in the field
• Easy going, flexible, reliable, and hardworking
• Valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
• Experience observing songbird behavior and recording color band combinations
• Experience attaching telemetry tags using leg-loop harnesses and using radio telemetry to locate tagged individuals.
• Experience searching for and locating nests of secretive songbirds through behavioral observation.
Submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for 3 references in a single PDF document with subject "Golden-winged Warbler Field Position" to Lesley Bulluck at email@example.com Application review will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled. Last date to apply is Feb 15, 2022.