JOB OPENING: Guide-in-Training / Shop Assistant, part-time to full-time
Coastal Expeditions, Inc.
514-B Mill Street, Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
Since 1992, Coastal Expeditions has been putting people safely and securely in the path of beauty. As guides and storytellers, we delight in sharing all that we know about the Lowcountry–its land and water; plants and animals; and history and culture–with everyone we meet.
We are looking for an energetic, nature-loving spirit to join our committed team as a Guide-in-Training / Shop Assistant at our headquarters location on Shem Creek in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. Our clients arrive happy and excited every day. A guide’s job is to maintain that level of enthusiasm on the water while providing an educational, safe, fun and high-integrity outdoor experience to every customer.
This employee will receive extensive training in safety and outdoor skills, gain an in-depth knowledge of the most breathtaking landscapes in the SC Lowcountry, and hone skills as an educator.
Coastal Expeditions offers a unique and fun work environment with amazing views of Shem Creek. Employees enjoy unlimited access to kayaks and stand-up paddleboards!
All guides-in-training will initially work mostly office and shop shifts. Over time, shifts will include more training and junior guide shifts. Shop shifts require intense manual labor in the heat of the South Carolina summer—lifting and moving kayaks and equipment, cleaning equipment, and helping customers into and off the water. Office shifts will require administrative and clerical work, as well as reception responsibilities.
Shop duties include:
● Assisting with rentals: paddle instruction, carrying boats to launch and back, launching/landing, and cleaning boats
● Helping other guides with tours: carrying boats, cleaning boats and gear, and helping clients
Office duties include:
● Answering phones, responding to text messages, and making reservations
● Assisting managers with projects, including maintenance, boat work, data entry, stocking, cleaning, etc.
● Checking clients in and out and processing payment
● Assisting with scheduling and booking
Guide duties include:
● Guiding kayak and paddleboard tours (2 & 3-hour on-site tours and 6-hour wilderness tours)
● Assisting with hiking and kayaking field trips
● Assisting senior guides on multi-day camping expeditions (as needed)
The ideal candidate for this position is available for part-time work beginning September 2021. The work is seasonal, with peak times occurring in the fall, spring, and summer. Part-time work is available through the winter for employees returning the following season. Weekend work is required.
Starting pay for this position is $11.50-$12.50/hour plus tips, commensurate with experience. After the first full season of employment, employees are eligible for an IRA matching program and health insurance benefits. Other benefits include CPR, First Aid, AED and lifeguard training, kayak instructor training, interpretive and educational training, and use of kayaks and SUPs.
● A positive, friendly, and enthusiastic attitude
● An interest in local, natural, and human history
● A desire to constantly learn and grow
● Customer service and communication skills
● Ability to work full days performing hard physical labor in the heat of Charleston summer
● A team player
● A Bachelor’s degree in a related field
● Education or guiding experience
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.