Runs all year long. Several positions available.
The applicant will be a caretaker at our Native Tree Nursery for at least three months. After a training period, the applicant will be given responsibility to execute several maintenance activities of the nursery. This can also include participation in reforestation and monitoring activities.
• Maintenance activities of the nursery: watering, health checks, weed removal, seed germination, compost preparation, substrate preparation, plant re potting.
• Monitoring growth and development of the native trees in the nursery, collect native tree seeds in the field, collect phenology information for native tree species, participate in reforestation activities.
• Maintenance to the nursery infrastructure.
• Keep logs and records up to date and organized.
• Different general maintenance or development tasks may be assigned depending on our current needs and the skills and abilities of volunteers.
The volunteer is expected to work 5.5 days a week. Monday to Saturday from 5.30am until 5pm with a three-hour break and half a day in the weekend. Schedule may change depending on the activities programed.
Duration of Work:
The minimum duration is three months with a maximum of 6 months. Availability as soon as possible
• Great experience both in terms of travel and supporting a non-profit
• Increased understanding and appreciation of different values and lifestyles
• Increased skill in creative problem-solving
• Increased skill in team-communication
All international and national travel costs to get to the site are your responsibility. Volunteers buy and prepare all their own food and we recommend you budget for at least $40 per week, or more if you like luxuries. On-site accommodation and utilities are provided at a cost reflective of length of time volunteering with us:
3-5 months: $150/month
>6 months: Free
We require a $200 security deposit to cover any damage you may cause to your volunteer living accommodations. You will receive this back at the end of your stay with us, minus the cost of any damage you may have caused exceeding normal wear and tear.
Comprehensive insurance cover for the entire stay is a must, and it should be arranged and paid for by the applicant. If staying for more than 90 days, doing a visa renewal trip is also the applicant's own responsibility. The most cost-effective option is going to Nicaragua via bus for a long weekend.
No previous experience or academic background in Biology needed. However, applicants with a background in Botany, Nursery and Plant management are preferred.
• Full, manual transmission drivers’ license and CBT or equivalent motorbike license.
• Proof of vaccination C-19
Desirable personal qualities:
• Good physical shape to walk long distances in hot, humid conditions
• Dependable and responsible
• Motivated and positive with a desire to contribute
• Interested in plants and habitat restoration
• Highly organized
• Flexible, patient, comfortable with being alone
Please send CV and estimate dates to the email provided.