Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Habitat Restoration Field Laborer: California
Last Date to Apply
Objective of Job: Provide labor support to Triangle Properties in the implementation of land and habitat restoration projects in mine reclamation and open space lands. Project types include restoration of grassland, woodland, wetland, and riparian habitats, reclamation of mine sites, and native California landscaping.
Location: Work is based in Sacramento, CA with projects throughout northern and central California.
Requirements: This is a LABOR position. Applicants must possess prior experience in habitat restoration, landscaping, agriculture, or other labor setting. Applicants must possess ability to perform manual labor tasks for extended periods of time in inclement weather.
1) Actively participate in the implementation and maintenance of habitat restoration projects, including but not limited to: tree/shrub plantings, irrigation installation and maintenance, invasive weed management (chemical and mechanical), vegetation management, and herbivory control.
2) Work for long periods of time in various site conditions. Work safely in rough terrain, inclement weather, and other environmental situations.
3) Occasionally operate small equipment (i.e., tractors, bobcats, loaders, and backhoes) for seeding and other specialized restoration tasks.
4) Install, operate, and maintain various irrigation systems, including both manual and automated systems.
5) Maintain, repair and organize tools, vehicles, and other equipment. Ensure that work-related equipment and tools are in good, safe condition.
6) Conduct extensive weed abatement in both upland and wetland environments using weed-eaters, herbicides (via backpack sprayers and ATV), and manually by hand.
7) Clearly communicate with supervisor on status of projects, including staffing and equipment needs, schedules, potential constraints, etc.
8) Maintain a positive working relationship with co-workers, company employees, and external customers.
9) Reports directly to the Land Supervisor.
EQUIPMENT USED IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THE JOB
Automobile (truck), ATV, small tools, and various equipment
Must be able to work in variable, outdoor environments. Job sites include uneven ground, steep slopes, exposure to extreme temperature and/or humidity.
Must be able to carrying loads of 30-40 pounds for extended periods, with occasional lifting of heavy loads up to 90 pounds. Frequent bending and squatting throughout the day.
Frequently works alone in remote areas. Works occasionally on projects requiring overtime and overnight stays.
Experience conducting habitat restoration projects, including implementation and maintenance activities preferred.
Valid CA driver’s license and good driving record.
Demonstrated ability to work independently and with others.
Possess the strength and agility to perform maintenance work in an outdoor setting for long periods of time in inclement weather.
Possession of or ability to obtain Pesticide Applicator’s Certificate within one year of hire.
General knowledge of local flora and weed species preferred.
HOURS AND DURATION
Full-time or part-time with possible overtime or overnight.
Begins immediately with possible extension on a project-by-project basis.
Please email a resume detailing experience in restoration, landscaping, agriculture, or other labor setting to: JJohnston@teichert.com