Overview: This position is part of a partnership between Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks (KDWP) and Habitat Forever, LLC (HF). The incumbents will conduct habitat management work on public wildlife management areas. They are full-time, permanent employees of Habitat Forever and will receive daily leadership from KDWP Field Managers. The position will be located at the Marais des Cygnes Wildlife Area near Pleasanton, Kansas.
Duties: Participate in all aspects of wildlife and habitat management of 7,600-acre Marais des Cygnes Wildlife Area and 4,600-acre La Cygne Lake and Wildlife Area. Employee will gain experience in intensively managed wetlands, waterfowl management, and bottomland hardwood forests. Employee hired for this position will likely be heavily involved in water level manipulation, prescribed burning, and woodland management.
• Wetland management, operation of water pumps, waterfowl check station, prescribed burning, tree removal with chainsaw, operation of tractors and agricultural implements (disking, mowing, planting food crops, etc.), operation of skid loader with stump grinder and/or forestry cutter, timber stand improvement, litter removal, control of noxious weeds and other undesired vegetation, sign maintenance, ETC.
• Directing, supervising, and implementing habitat management work on public wildlife areas;
• Supervising and participating in the construction, maintenance and repair of area buildings, equipment, and roads;
• Coordinating agricultural permits to insure positive benefits for wildlife;
• Providing public information;
• Participating in scientific field studies and surveys;
• Participating in training and evaluation of seasonal employees.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Description of Area: Marais des Cygnes Wildlife Area (7,654 ac) lies in the floodplain of the Marais des Cygnes River and is unique for its quantity of managed wetlands and bottomland hardwood forest. The array of wetland units are managed for a diversity of habitat types, producing abundant food and cover for migratory waterfowl and other wetland species. In general, wetlands are dewatered in the spring and reflooded in the fall with water pumped from the river.
Bottomland hardwood forests are dominated by oak and hickory and are excellent habitat for wild turkey, white-tailed deer, squirrels, and, during wet seasons, waterfowl that use forested wetlands. In addition to wetlands and bottomland forest, the area features upland forest, upland and wet-meadow prairie, restored native grasslands, and cropland. Waterfowl and wetland management, and hunting recreation are primary objectives for this area.
La Cygne Lake is a 2,600-acre cooling reservoir for a coal-fired generating plant owned by Kansas City Power and Light, with 2,000 acres of the watershed comprising the wildlife area. The area is mostly wooded uplands, with some grass meadows and crop fields.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• A basic understanding of environmental, agricultural and/or natural resource science. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the partners. Preference will be given to candidates that possess a bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in wildlife management;
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and partner agencies;
• Ability to work independently with little supervision;
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management equipment and tools in the development of wildlife habitat;
• Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills;
• Valid driver’s license required.
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities. One year of work experience in a wildlife management related job. A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field and/or related field experience.
Applications Requirements: a cover letter, resume and 3 references must be combined into a single Microsoft Word document or PDF file before uploading to our Recruitment website at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs If you have questions about the position, contact Matt O’Connor, Habitat Forever Coordinator 563-926-2357, email@example.com
Habitat Forever, LLC is an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled