Anticipated Start Date: November 15, 2018. This is a full-time position.
Overview: This position is part of a partnership between South Dakota Game, Fish & Parks (SDGFP) and Habitat Forever, LLC (HF). The incumbents will conduct habitat management work on public wildlife management areas. They are full-time, permanent employees of Habitat Forever and will receive daily leadership from SDGFP Field Managers. The position location will be in Huron area, South Dakota.
Duties: The incumbent will assist with all aspects of managing the assigned wildlife management area. Major responsibilities include:
• Directing, and implementing habitat management work on public wildlife areas;
• Procuring supplies and equipment;
• Participating in the construction, maintenance and repair of equipment, parking areas, and roads;
• Coordinating agricultural permits to insure positive benefits for wildlife;
• Habitat management work may include site preparation, planting, management of food plots, diverse native seedings and dense nesting cover, shrub or shelterbelt plantings. Tree removal and prescribed fire.
• Participating in scientific field studies and surveys;
• Participating in training and evaluation of seasonal employees.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• A basic understanding of environmental, agricultural and/or natural resource science. Education is not a substitute for experience. Field and equipment experience are important. Preference will be given to candidates that possess a bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in wildlife management;
• Excellent background in the operation, maintenance, and transportation of farm equipment.
• Prescribed fire experience and training is very important.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and partner agencies;
• Ability to work independently with little supervision;
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management equipment and tools in the development of wildlife habitat;
• Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills;
• Successful applicants must also possess or be able to acquire a South Dakota CDL Operators License and an Herbicide Applicators License.
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities. One year of work experience in a wildlife management related job. A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field and/or related field experience.
To Apply: Visit our Recruitment website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
For questions or more info, contact: Matt O’Connor, Habitat Forever Coordinator 563-926-2357, firstname.lastname@example.org
Habitat Forever, LLC is an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled