Two Positions Available
Application Deadline: January 25, 2019
Anticipated start date: February 2019
Overview: The Habitat Strike Team and these positions are part of a partnership between Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Illinois Recreational Access Program (IRAP) and Pheasants Forever, Inc. The incumbents will conduct habitat management work on IRAP leased private land and may also work on other IDNR private lands programs. These positions are also responsible for maintenance and repair of equipment. These are full-time, permanent employees of Pheasants Forever, Inc. and will receive daily leadership from the Strike Team Coordinator and possibly Pheasants Forever staff and/or IDNR staff. These positions will be located in Central or West Central Illinois.
Duties: The Habitat Strike Team Technicians will assist with the implementation of wildlife management plans. Major responsibilities include:
• Implementing habitat management work on IRAP leased property and other IDNR private lands and public wildlife areas as directed; Participating in the construction, fabrication, maintenance and repair of Strike Team equipment and supplies;
• Assisting with the procuring supplies and equipment;
• Providing public information about IRAP and other habitat management techniques, as directed;
• Contributing to data collection for scientific field studies and surveys;
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Requires a minimum of a high school degree, and preferably a 2 yr. Associates degree or equivalent work experience in a natural resources field, such as, forestry, wildlife biology, fisheries, ecology, or a related field. A basic understanding of environmental, agricultural and/or natural resource science.
• Ability to operate, maintain, and transport (trailering and securing) farming equipment (tractor, planter, mower)
• Experience and knowledge of general farm equipment maintenance, repair, and welding fabrication
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and partner agencies;
• Ability to work independently with little supervision;
• Knowledge of wildlife ecology, forestry, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management equipment and tools in the development of wildlife habitat;
• Prescribed fire, S/130 and S/190, certificate is required within 45 days of hiring.
• Good verbal/written communication and organizational skills;
• Valid driver’s license required.
• Chemical Applicators License is required within 45 days of hiring
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform habitat management practices and equipment maintenance and repair. Experience with computer applications (Microsoft Office programs, GIS); good communication skills; supervisory experience and experience using habitat management tools and equipment. A general qualification guideline for this position would be farm experience, general mechanical skills, and understanding and training in a natural resources field.
To Apply: Visit our Recruitment website at www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs
ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please combine your cover letter outlining your interest and qualifications, resume, and 3 references into 1 Word document or PDF file on the Recruitment website.
Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever are an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled