Natural resources and environmental related job listings. Includes internships, graduate fellowships, faculty positions and scholarships.
Hellbender Husbandry and Genetics Laboratory Assistant-Indiana
Purdue University - West Lafayette, IN
Last Date to Apply
A technician is needed to assist with captive-rearing and husbandry of Eastern Hellbenders (Cryptobranchus alleganiensis alleganiensis) at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana. One 16-month appointment is being sought. The appointment will start in May or June 2018 and run through September 2019.
The primary responsibility will be to oversee the husbandry of Purdue University’s captive Hellbender population. The technician also will be responsible for conducting basic genetic analyses (e.g., run agarose gels, qPCR, conventional PCR, etc.) to genetically sex juvenile hellbenders. Additional responsibilities might include assisting the project field coordinator with Eastern Hellbender fieldwork and conducting outreach and education programming.
Duration: May/June 2018 – September 2019. Start and end dates are flexible within those months.
- Bachelor’s degree in Wildlife, Fisheries, Natural Resources, Biology, Zoology, or related
- At least one year of experience with aquatic animal husbandry is required.
- At least one year of experience with basic genetic laboratory techniques preferred.
- A demonstrable aptitude for plumbing and using power tools is preferred.
- Public speaking and outreach experience is desirable.
- Applicants must be flexible and willing to travel.
- Applicants must be able to swim and comfortable working in water.
- Applicants must have a valid U.S. driver's license.
Deadline: April 9, 2018
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please apply quickly! Please send a resume, at least two references, and a narrative describing your interest in the position to Dr. Rod Williams.
Purdue University is an EEO/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.