Fernbank Science Center is a unique institution within the DeKalb County School District, the third-largest school system in Georgia. We provide innovative, creative science programming for students in grades Pre-K – 12, teachers, and the community. We are looking for skilled subject matter experts to design and implement high-quality demonstrations, coursework, and curriculum materials.
The flexibility and opportunities for professional growth that Fernbank Science Center supplies are complemented by the resources and longstanding support of a public school system aiming to be the best in the nation. We particularly seek educators and scientists who want to promote STEM opportunities for students of color, ethnically diverse school populations, and inquisitive people of all makes and models. This is an unusual job perfect for a science educator who really wants to make a mark and extend the quality of science education.
OPEN SCIENCE INSTRUCTION POSITIONS:
• Astronomy/Planetarium Instructional Specialist
• Ecology or Environmental Science Instructional Specialist
• Elementary Science Instructional Specialist
• Middle School Science Instructional Specialist
• Life or Physical Science Instructional Specialist
SAMPLE JOB DUTIES:
• Teach subject-specific science units to small groups of 9th grade students in a semester-long science program with competitive admission.
• Serve as a guest speaker bringing hands-on science activities to classrooms across our district, sharing enthusiasm for your scientific discipline and its importance for our society to a wide array of students.
• Provide outdoor education for single classes at local geology sites, forested areas, or parks, when/if appropriate for the subject.
• Create and provide professional learning workshops for teachers that promote and model science best teaching practices and curriculum methods.
• Work with dedicated designers and artists to create exhibits for our Exhibit Hall.
• Develop and grow community programs and programs at the district level to inspire interest in different areas of science.
• Master's degree in an area of scientific study OR a Bachelor's degree in area of scientific study with a Master's degree in Education
• Valid Georgia teaching certificate OR eligible for certification via alternative certification program.
• For more qualifications, view the complete job description here: https://www.applitrack.com/dekalbschoolsga/onlineapp/1BrowseFile.aspx?id=18058
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS AND RESUMES ONLINE:
Click on "Locations" in the side bar and select "Fernbank Science Center".
Contact Audrey Poole, Executive Admin. Assistant