Job Description: INTERPRETIVE NATURALIST INTERN(3) for fall migration monitoring projects at New Jersey Audubon’s Cape May Bird Observatory (CMBO), Cape May, NJ 24 August to 31 Oct. Cape May is renowned as one of the world's great hot spots for bird migration. NJA fosters the application of sound scientific principles and practices to address conservation issues related to vertebrate and invertebrate fauna, and the natural habitats with which they are associated.
• Orienting and assisting visitors to the Cape May Hawkwatch, Avalon Seawatch, and Morning Flight Songbird County. Over 500 people may visit per day during peak times!
• Conducting mini-workshops on bird identification and migration phenomena.
• Assisting visitors with bird identification, and assisting hawk counter when needed.
• Maintaining records of visitor contacts.
• Applicants should have experience interacting with the public and excellent interpersonal skills.
• An enthusiastic and motivated self-starter who is also a strong team player.
• Willingness to work irregular hours under sometimes difficult field conditions.
• Familiarity with bird migration and birding. Experience identifying raptors, passerines, and/or sea birds in flight is a plus, but learning on the job is possible and we will provide training and support.
• All applicants must have their own vehicle (unless other arrangements are made prior to employment), and a valid, clean driver’s license.
• Must be able to lift and carry 25 lbs as necessary.
Start Date: 24 August 2017 End Date: 31 October 2017
Salary: $ 900/month Housing and gas reimbursement provided
Application Deadline: June 20, 2017
Please send cover letter of interest, resume, and three references as a single PDF document (including email and phone contact info) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line the position for which you are applying.