All positions are unpaid, requiring a minimum commitment of 6 months. Housing and food will be provided for volunteers for the duration of their stay at the research station. However, flight tickets and visa costs need to be acquired by the volunteers. We will accept applications until all positions are filled.
We are looking to fill 6-month positions, starting in May, June and July 2018. Volunteers are primarily required to assist with radio-tracking and surveying for King Cobras within the Sakaerat Biosphere reserve. The starting dates for these positions also coincide with the breeding and nesting seasons of the King Cobras (therefore they will be more active) and we will be looking to increase our sample size; assistance with snake call outs and capturing King Cobras will also be required on occasion. Our fieldwork is very rewarding but also physically very demanding. Volunteers should be prepared to work long hours starting at 05:30 and likely to continue well into the night. This is a position enabling development of key field skills, technical skills (workshops, spatial ecology demonstrations), and individual personal development.
Volunteer duties include:
- Tracking adult King Cobras four times per day
- Placing camera traps on King Cobra shelter sites and reviewing camera trap data
- Participating in active surveys for King cobras and other snakes
- Writing monthly activity reports of each radio-tracked King cobra
- Assisting with local conservation, education and outreach initiatives
- Being able and willing to work long hours in very warm and humid conditions
- Communicating with local villagers in a friendly and non-intrusive manner when tracking in human-dominated landscapes
Desired qualifications and skills:
- 21 years or older
- Either a Bachelors or an associated degree in Biology or a related field
- At least one season of previous field experience (not necessarily in snake ecology)
- Experience with radio-telemetry
- Experience with outdoor work (manual labour)
- Volunteers need to be fit (able to walk more than 10 km a day)
- Able/willing to drive a moped
- Respect for biodiversity
- Venomous snake handling experience
Please send your CV and cover letter, addressed to Max Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org and list your earliest available start date.