Pheasants Forever is seeking a highly motivated, dynamic, and team-oriented individual with a passion for conservation, agriculture, technology, and economics. The employee will work with Pheasants Forever as a part of their joint project with the United Sorghum Checkoff Program, as well as other key partners of the Kansas Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever (PF & QF) Conservation Team. As a member of the PF & QF Team in Kansas, this position will have the unique opportunity to work directly with farmers, advisors, consultants, retail ag and partners to analyze operations based on economic performance and identifying alternative practices that increase conservation opportunity and in-field profitability. The employee will process and analyze relevant on-farm data to provide sub-field profit/loss planning analytics to farmers using a precision agriculture platform. The employee will develop economic scenarios for conservation, working lands and other best management practices on acres that will result in increased profitability. Employee will also work in coordination with PF & QF Private Land Biologists as well as other partner private land staff to ensure that interested producers receive additional conservation planning support and on-the-ground technical assistance. This employee will be home officed, and the preferred geography is West-Central Kansas.
• Collaborate with growers to provide agronomic, conservation, working lands and economic analysis assistance that increase producer profitability.
• Lead in the identification and engagement of growers in coordination with local partners.
• Make sound and ethical conservation recommendations to maximize profitability for farmers while leading to direct outcomes that provide water, soil and wildlife benefits.
• Develop and present business performance scenarios for best management practices to assess profitability of management decisions.
• Develop and maintain relationships with agricultural partners consistent with their needs/wants.
• Facilitate a high-level of communication between the farmer (including their trusted advisors) and partners.
• Focus on understanding producer needs and provide feedback on ways to improve performance.
• Assist with referring producers and agronomists requesting alternative options to appropriate local service center (USDA and/or Kansas Dept. of Wildlife) or other local partners.
• Work directly with Kansas PF & QF Private Land Conservationists to ensure producers interested in on-farm conservation planning receive conservation technical assistance and program support.
• Participate on national PF & QF Precision ag and conservation solutions team
• Organize and host workshops, field days and conduct other outreach efforts.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong customer relation and interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively, and excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to make initial contacts and develop new relationships.
• Self-motivated and able to work independently without direct supervision.
• Knowledge or the ability to understand modern farm equipment, technology and practices with specific knowledge of equipment, application, and operation.
• Commitment to maintain standards and address issues in a timely, professional manner.
• Working knowledge of common conservation programs and practices in Kansas.
• Knowledge of/experience with precision Ag Software and ArcGIS or other mapping software.
• Valid driver’s license required; use of personal vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided).
Education and Experience Guideline:
Applicants for this position should possess a Bachelor’s degree in Precision Agriculture, Agronomy, Ag Systems Technology, Ag Business, or a Natural Resources field. Candidates with an Associate degree and/or 5+ years of relevant industry experience will be considered. Direct experience working on a farm operation is strongly preferred. A passion for agriculture, the outdoors, conservation, wildlife and working directly with farmers and other ag and conservation professionals is highly beneficial.
Visit our website at: www.pheasantsforever.org/jobs. ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Please combine your cover letter, resume and 3 references into a SINGLE Microsoft Word document or Adobe PDF file before uploading to our Recruitment website.
Contact: Marina Osier, email@example.com or Chris McLeland, firstname.lastname@example.org
Pheasants Forever and Quail Forever is an EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled.