The Laboratory Technician assists with a wide range of lab and office work supporting the inventory, conservation, and restoration of California’s flora and ecological communities. Occasional field work may also be required. This full-time (40 hours per week), non-exempt position reports to the Conservation Geneticist.
• Perform routine molecular genetics lab work, including:
o DNA extraction
o DNA quantitation
o Gel electrophoresis
o Assist with additional laboratory tasks as assigned (including high-throughput library preparations)
• Prepare, database, and help maintain dried plant tissues for SBBG tissue bank;
o Coordinate with collectors to obtain necessary meta-data when accessions are made by SBBG collectors;
• Enter data, and maintain SBBG DNA database;
• Upload genetic data to publicly available databases (GenBank, BOLD);
• Assist with analyses and report preparation;
• Assist and manage volunteers as needed;
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Working knowledge of basic molecular genetic techniques;
• Experience with and knowledge of basic taxonomic principles in botany;
• Knowledge of and experience with the California flora (preferred, not required);
• Ability to follow instructions, work successfully with others, and work independently with minimal supervision;
• Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills;
• Manual dexterity sufficient to preform laboratory work and prepare plant tissue specimens;
• Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines;
• Computer proficiency including ability to use Microsoft Access, Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, and ability to learn new computer programs as necessary including Geneious, BOLDsystems;
• Willingness and ability to work cooperatively with peers at SBBG and other institutions;
• Support for the Garden’s mission and goals.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in biology, ecology, botany, environmental science, conservation biology, or closely related area;
• Master’s degree (preferred, not required) or two or more full‐time years (or equivalent) of relevant experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
• Must have valid California Driver License and maintain an acceptable driving record.
Must be capable of occasional strenuous physical work including:
• Sitting for up to 2.0 hours at a time and using computer for lengthy periods
• Standing/walking for extended periods of time
• Bending, squatting, and walking stairs
• Safely lifting and carrying 40 lbs.
• Rigors of an outdoor work environment, including temperature fluctuations, rain, dust, allergens, poison oak, insects, wild animals, steep slopes, and sun exposure.