Founded in 1967, the Georgia Conservancy's (https://www.georgiaconservancy.org/) mission is to protect Georgia through ecological and economic solutions for stewardship, conservation, and sustainable use of the land and its resources.
We are seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Land Conservation Coordinator. For the next four years, the candidate selected for this position will be responsible for advancing conservation and land management practices through the Georgia Sentinel Landscape (GSL) Regional Conservation Partnership Program (RCPP) within the broad GSL landscape of Georgia (https://sentinellandscapes.org/). A grant from the Department of Agriculture, Natural Resource Conservation Service, including support from the Department of Defense and other partners, will partially fund this position.
This position provides an opportunity to work at a regional scale to usher Georgia into a new era of longleaf pine ecosystem stewardship. The successful candidate will work with a broad constituency of stakeholders, including individual forest landowners, to implement prescribed fire practices and aid in developing long-term landscape-scale partnerships, such as property owner cooperatives, for the benefit of all Georgians.
A primary focus of this position will be to deliver program services through outreach with private landowners within collaborative partnerships across Georgia Sentinel Landscape (https://www.georgiaconservancy.org/land/rcpp-grant). There will also be opportunities to advance resource stewardship by supporting the Georgia Conservancy's strategic goals with our other program areas.
B.S. degree (minimum) in forestry, wildlife management, ecology, or related field; educational outreach and communication experience preferred
• Experience or knowledge in sustainable forestry practices, ecosystem restoration, wildlife habitat optimization
• Familiarity with prescribed fire for ecosystem management preferred
• Experience working with private landowners
• Ability to communicate complex biological concepts to landowners and the public
• Knowledge of Farm Bill programs (e.g., EQIP, CRP)
• Ability and willingness to work in a partnership
• Knowledge and experience with Geographic Information Systems software (ESRI)
• Dependable transportation for the conduct of business (mileage reimbursement provided)
• Ability to travel frequently within the state and region
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills