The Nature Conservancy is a global conservation organization dedicated to conserving the lands and waters on which all life depends in more than 70 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard.
The Indiana Chapter is seeking a Land Protection Specialist to carry out strategies to acquire or otherwise secure land for the protection of ecologically significant areas, primarily in southern Indiana. We need someone with great interpersonal communication skills and the ability to inspire trust with landowners. They must learn, understand, and communicate the value of habitat conservation in a clear and compelling way. As part of a committed team of Nature Conservancy staff, you will work together to find willing sellers, negotiate fair and equitable outcomes for all involved, and experience the deep satisfaction of seeing your work make a long-lasting difference for nature.
The Land Protection Specialist carries out conservation strategies by acquiring various legal interests in land and secures public and private support for TNC conservation priorities. This person works closely with private landowners; local, state, and federal governmental agencies; conservation partners; corporations and others using land acquisition, conservation easements, leases, and management agreements. They are responsible for managing projects from start to finish, including initiating contact with new landowners, negotiating real estate transactions, managing many simultaneous projects, coordinating their work with the larger land protection team, and communicating in a timely and professional manner.
This full-time, permanent position will be based out of our Indianapolis office or our Brown County Hills Office near Nashville, Indiana. Most of the work will target the forests of Southern Indiana, though efforts elsewhere in the state may be required.
• Bachelor’s degree and 3 years’ experience in communications, real estate, sales, or similar field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience building relationships with a variety of partners (clients, landowners, attorneys, etc).
• Experience completing tasks independently with respect to timelines.
• Experience with communication via written, spoken, and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
• Experience using common software applications such as Word, Excel, web browsers, etc.
• Must have a valid driver's license.
• Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
• 3-5 years’ experience in communications, real estate, sales, or similar field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience managing and training staff or volunteers.
• Ability and willingness to apply science to decision-making and guide activities.
• Familiarity with principles of land acquisition or similar asset acquisition.
• Knowledge of ecological land management principles.
We offer a competitive salary with great benefits. For a complete position description and to apply, visit http://www.nature.org/careers and search for Job ID# 49330. Deadline to apply is 11:59 PM EDT, February 24, 2021. The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.