Would you like to implement a Latino Engagement Program to build stronger relationships with the communities surrounding the Willamette Valley Refuges - weaving the Refuges into the local Latino culture as a resource, destination and asset? Become the Latino Engagement Program Coordinator at the Willamette Valley National Wildlife Refuge Complex!
* Increase the number of bilingual publications, signage and programming at the Refuge Complex.
* Specifically: EE elements in Spanish and English; Ankeny Hill Nature Center interpretation, curriculum kits, resource library and Discovery Backpacks. Website options in Spanish.
* Be a part of the development and implementation of Ankeny Hill Nature Center interpretation elements, website, operations, programming and curriculum. This new center needs to meet the needs of Latino families.
* Coordinate with the identified Latino Organizations in Benton, Linn, Polk and Marion counties to implement programming that benefits both parties. Foster these relationships.
* Use the Latino outreach list to promote bilingual efforts at the Complex.
* Help coordinate Winter Wildlife Field Day as a member of the steering committee. In 2021 we want to create the most accessible event ever. Instead of bringing a diverse audience to our Refuge (s) we’ll be bringing these special places to them. All elements of the event will be bilingual. Experience with online platforms and experiences a plus!
* Continue the monthly Ankeny Refuge Bilingual Preschool Program (January – May 2021). If in-person events are not possible due to COVID-19, the programs will be created via video and shared online.
* Host additional bilingual interpretation and/or environmental education events at the three Refuges in the Complex. This could be a continuation of the bilingual nature hikes and programs already developed or create your own passion projects!
* Create a bilingual curriculum for the Woodpecker Loop Discovery Trail.
* As the Latino Engagement Program champion, serve on the Visitor Services team. This includes helping with environmental education events, outreach, and participation in other visitor services duties (e.g. rounds, brochure making, and volunteer coordination). Always be thinking of your audience. How can we reach more Latinos in the everyday visitor services activities we do?
* Together with the Visitor Services Manager, keep the Latino Engagement Plan updated.
We are seeking applicants that possess strong communication skills, a flexible and positive nature, willingness to learn, and a passion for conservation and education. In addition:
* Latinx individual that is bilingual (Spanish/English both verbally and written). A native Spanish- speaker a plus;
* Must possess a valid driver’s license;
* Takes initiative, is hardworking and self-motivated;
* General computing skills. Experience with video editing and design software a plus;
* Desire to conduct education and outreach.