Licensed Veterinary Technician
The Blue Ridge Wildlife Center (BRWC) has an opening for a member of the wildlife veterinary staff.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
· Provide primary support to veterinarian in medical care of patients
· Assist with triage, exams, medication administration, physical therapy, radiographs, surgeries, and other anesthetic procedures
· Direct rehabilitation staff in medical procedural protocols when veterinarian is unavailable
· Daily assessment of healthy infant patients, notify veterinarian when medical issues arise
· Supervise and track routine maintenance of hospital equipment
· Assist veterinarian in keeping drugs (controlled substances and other medications) organized and inventories up-to-date
· Submit and organize medical supply orders under the direction of the veterinarian
· Maintain patient records including the logging of lab work and medical procedures
· Supervise veterinary/veterinary technician externs/volunteers/fellows when veterinarian is unavailable
· Assist with rehabilitation duties as time allows
This full-time, salaried position is based in our hospital facility in Boyce, Virginia. The typical work day is 8-10 hours. The typical work week is 5 days which may include weekends and holidays. Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for references to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted through February 21. Interviews may begin as early as February 16.
· A minimum of six months of related experience in wildlife rehabilitation (veterinary technician or rehabilitator)
· Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT) certified by the Virginia Board of Veterinary Medicine or ability to become licensed in VA.
· Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
· Proof of current rabies vaccination or willingness to get vaccinated prior to start date.
· Ability to obtain a rehabilitation permit from VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.
· This position is subject to a background check.
· Past work in a wildlife hospital
· Interest in public education
Physical demands and exposure to environmental conditions:
· Ability to have full range of motion and movement and to lift/move up to 40lbs.
· Ability to work in indoor and outdoor conditions, including extreme weather conditions.